Run WIMS-D5 on Win XP: Solutions & Alternatives

• Thread starter libertad
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking a solution to run a WIMS-D5 code, compiled with an old compiler, on Windows XP. They do not have the source code to recompile it and suggest contacting NEA for assistance. They also mention potential incompatibilities with the OS and microprocessor and suggest compiling the code on the platform with the intended OS. The suggestion of requesting the source code from NEA or finding a Win2K system is also mentioned. Additionally, they mention the possibility of changing compatibility mode and installing a virtual Win2K guest under XP as potential solutions.
libertad
Hello there,
I have an exe file of WIMS-D5 code which is complied with an old compiler so it cannot be run under Windows XP. It can run on Win 2000 an other lower OS.

Is there a solution which helps me run it under Win XP?
I don't have its source code to recompile it.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably the best thing is to do an official request at NEA. I know they are a pain, but if you have the legal right to use their software, sooner or later you will obtain it.

I wonder if it is an incompatibility with the OS (XP) or the microprocessor (32 bit vs 64 bit, or something like that). I presume the microprocessor of the XP machine is different than for the Win2K or lower OS?

It's certainly best to compile the code on the platform with the OS under which it will be used.

Astronuc said:
I wonder if it is an incompatibility with the OS (XP) or the microprocessor (32 bit vs 64 bit, or something like that). I presume the microprocessor of the XP machine is different than for the Win2K or lower OS?

It's certainly best to compile the code on the platform with the OS under which it will be used.

I don't have the source code to compile it again.

libertad said:
I don't have the source code to compile it again.
In that case, I would recommend Vanesch's suggestion and request the source code from NEA. Or find a Win2K system.

Is the XP Machine similar to the one that had Win2K, i.e. what processor is one using as opposed to the one on which the executable was created? I assume the HD's of the XP machine use NTFS.

If you right click a program and go to "Properties", you can change the compatability mode (under, of course, the "Compatability" tab). I have no clue if it will work, but it's worth a try.

If you really need it one solution which requires some effort (and works if the application doesn't require extreme graphical performance for one) is to install a virtual win2k guest under XP and run the native win2k version of the software there ... since it's then win2k should definitely work (for example http://www.virtualbox.org/ ).

Related to Run WIMS-D5 on Win XP: Solutions & Alternatives

1. What is WIMS-D5?

WIMS-D5 is a software program used for simulating the behavior of electronic devices and circuits. It is widely used in the field of microelectronics and can be run on Windows XP operating systems.

2. Can WIMS-D5 be run on Windows XP?

Yes, WIMS-D5 can be run on Windows XP. However, it is recommended to use the latest version of WIMS-D5, as older versions may not be fully compatible with the operating system.

3. What are the system requirements for running WIMS-D5 on Windows XP?

The minimum system requirements for WIMS-D5 on Windows XP are a 1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, and at least 1GB of free disk space. However, it is recommended to have a faster processor and more RAM for optimal performance.

4. Are there any alternatives to running WIMS-D5 on Windows XP?

Yes, there are alternative simulation software programs that can be run on Windows XP, such as LTspice and TINA-TI. These programs may have different features and interfaces compared to WIMS-D5, so it is important to choose the one that best suits your needs.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with running WIMS-D5 on Windows XP?

If you encounter any issues while running WIMS-D5 on Windows XP, you can try updating your operating system and graphics drivers, as well as reinstalling the software. You can also check for any compatibility settings that may need to be adjusted. If the issue persists, you can contact technical support for further assistance.