Runner's motion in one dimension

In summary, the runner must accelerate at 0.20 m/s2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

A runner hopes to complete the 10,000-m run in less than 30.0 min. After exactly 27.0 min, there are still 1100 m to go.

The runner must then accelerate at 0.20 m/s2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time?

Homework Equations

vf = vo + at
avg velocity = (vf + vo) /2
d = vo)t + (1/2) at2
vf2 = vo2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

Most of my solutions just wind up at 0 = 0 or a = a... In other words, I'm not doing anything wrong, but it's that I can't think of any other way to solve it.

d1 = 8900 m
t = 1620 s
d2 = 1100 m
avg velocity = 8900 / 1620 = A

(I took this route so I could find the instantaneous velocity at t = 1620s, which I though would lead up to another part that could solve the problem)

A = (vf+ vo) / 2
2A - vf = vo

a = [vf - (2A - vf)] / t
a = (2vf - 2A) /t

vf2 = (2A - vf)2 + 2[ (2vf -2A) /t] d1
(which results in)
0 = 0

I've been thinking about this problem for a loooong time, but I can't figure out another way to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like this problem really depends on the Vo of the runner at t=27min. say if at that point he stopped at then started from 0m/s, then accelerated at .2m/s, the time would be higher than if he "started" at the average Vo of the overall 27 minute trip. Or say he started slow then started going faster towards the end of the 27 minute and had a higher than average Vo at 27 to make up for his lower starting Vo...

I think a good first step would be to find his average velocity though the first 27 minutes of the trip if he was on pace for a 30 min 10k. Take that Velocity to be the Vo of your starting equations for the last 3 minutes... you are given the accel and you know Vf=0. So try going from there

Look for the final velocity with 1100/3 minutes. You might be able to use that velocity to look further into acceleration and time. I haven't looked into it further enough though.

Basically what you have to do is cover the 1100 m.

This will be made up of 2 phases. t1)acceleration. t2) constant velocity to finish won't it?

1100 m = Vf*t2 + Vavg*t1 +1/2(.2)(t22)

t1 + t2 = 180 secs

And Vf = Vavg + a*t1

But I'm not solving it.

Thank you, that worked.

But I don't understand why the average velocity was able to be used in either equation. I thought those equations can only be used with instantaneous velocities (in this case, when t = 1620 s).

Elbobo said:
Thank you, that worked.

But I don't understand why the average velocity was able to be used in either equation. I thought those equations can only be used with instantaneous velocities (in this case, when t = 1620 s).

True enough. But they gave you no choice. You have to assume that he was running at average speed. It is the best bet that he was after 27 minutes. It would have been better to state that he was running at average speed in the problem. But ... hey. What do you want perfect problems?

actually i don't think its V_avg, but like Initial velocity...

thats why ur "v_avg" was used... V_avg = Vf - Vi/2 ... and through ur previous calculation of 8900m/1620s = 5.49 m/s its obvious its not V_avg...

i could be wrong, but that's my take on it anyways

marindo said:
actually i don't think its V_avg, but like Initial velocity...

thats why ur "v_avg" was used... V_avg = Vf - Vi/2 ... and through ur previous calculation of 8900m/1620s = 5.49 m/s its obvious its not V_avg...

i could be wrong, but that's my take on it anyways

The point is that you use his average velocity over the first part as the initial velocity for when he begins his "kick" to final speed for the last part.

LowlyPion said:
But ... hey. What do you want perfect problems?
yes = ="

LowlyPion said:
Basically what you have to do is cover the 1100 m.

This will be made up of 2 phases. t1)acceleration. t2) constant velocity to finish won't it?

1100 m = Vf*t2 + Vavg*t1 +1/2(.2)(t22)

t1 + t2 = 180 secs

And Vf = Vavg + a*t1

But I'm not solving it.
I am trying to solve this problem as well, and my issue is that I don't really know what each variable in the equation represents

Can someone help me?

Related to Runner's motion in one dimension

1. What is runner's motion in one dimension?

Runner's motion in one dimension refers to the movement of a runner in a straight line, without changing direction. It is a simplified version of a runner's movement, ignoring factors such as curves, turns, and changes in speed.

2. What is the equation for calculating runner's motion in one dimension?

The equation for runner's motion in one dimension is x = x0 + v0t + ½at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

3. How does acceleration affect runner's motion in one dimension?

Acceleration affects runner's motion in one dimension by either increasing or decreasing the runner's speed. If the acceleration is positive, the runner's speed will increase, and if the acceleration is negative, the runner's speed will decrease. In the absence of acceleration, the runner will maintain a constant speed.

4. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed in runner's motion?

Average speed refers to the total distance covered by a runner divided by the total time taken to cover that distance. It gives an overall picture of the runner's motion. In contrast, instantaneous speed refers to the speed of the runner at a specific moment in time. It can vary throughout the runner's motion.

5. How does distance affect runner's motion in one dimension?

Distance affects runner's motion in one dimension by determining the total displacement of the runner. The greater the distance covered, the greater the displacement of the runner. In contrast, if the distance is shorter, the runner's displacement will also be shorter.