1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rutherford scattering calculation

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The fraction of [tex]6.0 MeV[/tex] protons scattered by thin gold foil, of density [tex]\rho=19.3 g/cm^{3}[/tex], from the incident beam into a region where scattering angles exceed [tex]60 degrees[/tex] is equal to [tex] 2.0 x 10^{-5} [/tex]. Calculate the thickness of the gold foil using the result of the previous problem.

2. Relevant equations
    The result I got for the previous problem was a formula for the number of particles scattered thru and angle of [tex]\theta[/tex] or greater and is:

[tex]N(\theta)= (\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}})^{2} \pi I \rho t (\frac{zZe^{2}}{Mv^{2}})^{2} cot^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I took [tex]\frac{N(\theta)}{I}[/tex] which is equivalent to removing the I from the above equation and attempted to solve for t, which is the thickness...

[tex]t=\frac{2x10^{-5}}{(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}})^{2} \pi (19.3 g/cm^{3}) (\frac{79(1.602x10^{-19}coul)^{2}}{2(6 MeV)})^{2} cot^{2}(\frac{\pi}{6})}[/tex]

problem is that I keep getting an answer in m/kg, so I must be missing some term, though I can't figure out what it is...

any help is very much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Absorber thickness is sometime measured in kg/m2 or gm/cm2 such that dividing by density in kg/m3 or gm/cm3 yields a thickness in m or cm, respectively.

Make sure the relationship between N and I is correct, and check one's units on the various terms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?