Understanding the S Parameter Matrix for Lossless Transmission Lines"

In summary, a perfect wire has zero loss, so if you connect the voltage source to the wire and measure the voltage at the other end, you would expect to see 1V there.
EEuser
Homework Statement
What is S(21) for a perfect Transmission Line?
Relevant Equations
See images below
If a perfect transmission line is lossless, then would the S parameter for a perfect transmission line be
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.45.45 PM.png
?

Homework Equation: S parameter matrix
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.46.25 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: It's been awhile since I've worked with two-port networks, so I might be a little rusty.

EEuser said:
Homework Statement:: What is S(21) for a perfect Transmission Line?
Homework Equations:: See images below

If a perfect transmission line is lossless, then would the S parameter for a perfect transmission line be View attachment 255194?

Homework Equation: S parameter matrixView attachment 255195

Yes, you can say that [itex] S_{21} = b_2/a_1 [/itex], but I suspect that's not the whole answer for what is being asked (I think).

You see, [itex] S_{21} = b_2/a_1 [/itex] is always the case, so long as [itex] a_2 = 0 [/itex], because that's how the parameters were measured. Even if the network involves some sort of lossy, complicated transformers and whatnot, that relationship still holds.

But I think you can get more specific. Knowing that the network is supposed to represent a perfect, lossless transmission line (without anything fancy), what is the relationship between [itex] a_1 [/itex] and [itex] b_2 [/itex]?

That said, I don't know whether the intended answer is willing to accommodate a phase difference. Even a perfect, lossless transmission line might incur a phase difference if the transmission line is long. But in any case, you should be able to at least say something about the magnitude, [itex] | S_{21} | [/itex]. If you're working with a DC network, ignore this paragraph and give the answer for [itex] S_{21} [/itex] directly. If you're working with AC networks, then the answer might not be so simple since the parameter can be a complex number, but you should at least be able to say something about the parameter's magnitude.

Likes Joshy
My personal answer would just worry about the magnitude.

If I had a voltage source connected to a wire... let's call it a1 and it's equal to 1V... then what voltage (b1) would I expect to see other end of a perfect wire before connecting it to a chip that requires 1V?

If the above is confusing or doesn't work, then maybe thinking about this another way might work. If the wire is lossy and imperfect, then what would you not see on the other end?

What is the S parameter matrix for lossless transmission lines?

The S parameter matrix for lossless transmission lines is a mathematical representation of the relationship between incident and reflected waves in a transmission line. It contains four elements, known as S11, S12, S21, and S22, which represent the reflection and transmission coefficients for waves traveling in both directions in the transmission line.

How is the S parameter matrix used to characterize transmission lines?

The S parameter matrix is used to analyze the performance of transmission lines by measuring the amplitude and phase of the incident and reflected waves. It can also be used to calculate important parameters such as insertion loss, return loss, and voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR).

What is the significance of a lossless transmission line?

A lossless transmission line is one in which there is no dissipation of energy, meaning that all of the input power is delivered to the load without any loss. This is an ideal scenario and allows for maximum efficiency in signal transmission.

What are some common applications of the S parameter matrix for lossless transmission lines?

The S parameter matrix is commonly used in microwave engineering, where it is used to design and characterize components such as antennas, filters, and amplifiers. It is also used in high-speed digital communication systems and in the testing of RF circuits.

How is the S parameter matrix affected by lossy transmission lines?

In lossy transmission lines, there is a loss of energy due to factors such as resistance, dielectric loss, and skin effect. This results in a non-ideal S parameter matrix, where the values of S11 and S22 are no longer equal to zero. This can lead to signal degradation and a decrease in overall system performance.