Second partial derivative wrt x

In summary, a second partial derivative with respect to x is the rate of change of a function with respect to x when both x and y are changing simultaneously. It measures the curvature of a function in the x direction. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the first partial derivative with respect to x, which measures the slope of the tangent line in the x direction. The second partial derivative with respect to x is important because it helps us understand the shape and behavior of a function in the x direction and identify critical points. The difference between a first and second partial derivative with respect to x is that the first measures the instantaneous rate of change while the second measures the rate of change of the first. A second partial derivative with respect to x can
jonroberts74
I just need some clarification that this is fine

so I have

[tex]f_{x} = -2xe^{-x^2-y^2}cos(xy) -ysin(xy)e^{-x^2-y^2}[/tex]

now, taking the second derivative

[tex]f_{xx} = [-2xe^{-x^2-y^2}+4x^2e^{-x^2-y^2}]cos(xy) - ysin(xy)[-2xe^{-x^2-y^2}]+2xe^{-x^2-y^2}sin(xy)y-cos(xy)e^{-x2-y^2}y^2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The very first ##x## in the first term shouldn't be there. Otherwise it looks fine.

oh yeah, on my paper I didnt have it but I typed it into this

thanks!

What is a second partial derivative with respect to x?

A second partial derivative with respect to x is the rate of change of a function with respect to x, when both x and y are changing simultaneously in a given direction. It measures the curvature of a function in the x direction.

How is a second partial derivative with respect to x calculated?

A second partial derivative with respect to x is calculated by taking the derivative of the first partial derivative with respect to x. This means taking the derivative of the slope of the tangent line in the x direction.

Why is the second partial derivative with respect to x important?

The second partial derivative with respect to x is important because it helps us understand the shape and behavior of a function in the x direction. It can also help us identify critical points, such as maximum or minimum points, of a function.

What is the difference between a first and second partial derivative with respect to x?

The first partial derivative with respect to x measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function in the x direction. The second partial derivative with respect to x measures the rate of change of the first partial derivative with respect to x. In other words, it measures the rate of change of the rate of change of the function in the x direction.

Can a second partial derivative with respect to x be negative?

Yes, a second partial derivative with respect to x can be negative. This indicates that the function is concave down in the x direction, meaning it is curving downwards. It can also indicate a local maximum point on the function.