Seemingly simple integral gets complicated

• Thread starter EbolaPox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, an AP calculus BC student is trying to integrate secant cubed, and is having problems due to a lack of understanding of hyperbolic trigonometry.
EbolaPox
Well, I'm an AP Calculus BC student, and I always liked to get ahead, so before the year started, I went through Calc I and II. Now that I'm in the class with a 100+, I'm simply refreshing myself on the Calc II portion. My brother decided to give me a seemingly simple problem that turned out more complicated than I expected. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Problem: Evaluate integral
[tex]\int \sin{x} \sqrt{(\cos{x})^2 + 1}dx[/tex]
I decided to use substitution initially, setting u = cos x. dx = du/-sin(x), thus eliminating the sin(x) and leaving [tex]\int \sqrt{u^2 + 1}du [/tex]
I then thought my best bet would be to approach this with trignometric substitution. I said tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) = u so
[tex]\sec{\theta}^2d\theta = du [/tex]
[tex]\int (\sec{\theta})^2\sqrt{(\tan(\theta)} +1)dx [/tex]
I then evaluated [tex]\sqrt{ (\tan{\theta})^2 +1 } = (\sec{\theta})[/tex]
Thus, my integral was simplified (relatively) down to
[tex] \int (\sec{\theta})^3 d\theta [/tex]
It just gets worse from there. Am I making some horrid mistake in my trignometric substitution or before or have I completely approached this incorrectly? I have more work that I've done, but I want to ensure that this is correct so far. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try u = sinht

It looks a-ok so far. Just don't forget the minus sign in your first u-substitution.

Do you know how to integrate secant cubed?

Your brother is a smart-ass!

To integrate [itex]sec^3(\theta)d(\theta)[/itex], first write it as [itex]\frac{d\theta}{cos^3(\theta)}[/itex]. Now multiply numerator and denominator by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] to get [itex]\frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos^4(\theta)}= \frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{(1-sin^2(\theta)^2}[/itex].
Let [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex] and this becomes [itex]\frac{dy}{(1-y^2)^2}[/itex] which can be done by partial fractions.

When I was in calculus I was taught that the only way to integrate secant cubed was by parts. Obviously this is not the case :rolleyes: .

By parts does not take too long, if you remember what to choose for u and dV!

To elaborate on what Fermat said, the integral can be written as:

[tex]\int\sqrt{1+x^2}\,dx[/tex]

Then you can use the suggested substitution.

And speaking of parts, try using dv = sec2θ.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied. For some reason, I didn't think about attempting integration by parts.

Thanks to suggestsions everyone, I'll try them out. A question though, for the y = sinh(t), if I'm correct, is that hyperbolic trignometric substitution? I'm not very familiar with hyperbolic functions. I'll read up on it. Thanks to everyone. Once I get some more work done on it, I'll post again to see if I did it correctly.

EbolaPox said:
... A question though, for the y = sinh(t), if I'm correct, is that hyperbolic trignometric substitution? ...
Yes, that's a hyperbolic substitution. I goes like this,

[tex]\int\ \sqrt{u^2 + 1}\ du[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{let } u = sinh\ t\mbox{, then,}[/tex]

[tex]du = cosh\ t\ dt[/tex]

carrying out the substitution,

[tex]\int\ \sqrt{sinh^2\ t + 1}\cdot cosh\ t\ dt[/tex]
[tex]\int\ \sqrt{cosh^2\ t}\cdot cosh\ t\ dt[/tex]
[tex]\int\ cosh^2\ t\ dt[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{There is an ordinary trig identity, } cos^2 x = \frac{1}{2} (1 + cos2x)[/tex]
all you have to do now is find the equivalent hyperbolic trig identity (try google), substitute, integrate, and back-substitute for x in the original integral.

Last edited:
Fascinating: I've never seen hyperbolic trignometry used for substitution. Thank you for elucidating on that. I''ll go study up on that.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value or quantity of something, such as the distance traveled by an object or the total accumulation of income over time.

Why do seemingly simple integrals get complicated?

Seemingly simple integrals can become complicated due to a variety of factors, including the complexity of the function being integrated, the limits of integration, and the method used to solve the integral. In some cases, seemingly simple integrals may also require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

What is the importance of integrals in science?

Integrals are important in science because they allow us to calculate and analyze a wide range of physical and mathematical quantities. In physics, for example, integrals are used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine an object's displacement or to calculate the work done by a force. In mathematics, integrals are central to the branch of calculus and are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

What are some common techniques for solving complicated integrals?

Some common techniques for solving complicated integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitutions, and partial fractions. Other advanced techniques such as contour integration, series expansions, and numerical integration methods may also be used in certain cases.

How can I improve my skills in solving complicated integrals?

To improve your skills in solving complicated integrals, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus concepts and techniques. You can also practice by solving a variety of integrals and studying different methods for solving them. It can also be helpful to consult textbooks or online resources for tips and strategies for solving specific types of integrals.