1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seemingly simple integral gets complicated

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    Well, I'm an AP Calculus BC student, and I always liked to get ahead, so before the year started, I went through Calc I and II. Now that I'm in the class with a 100+, I'm simply refreshing myself on the Calc II portion. My brother decided to give me a seemingly simple problem that turned out more complicated than I expected. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Problem: Evaluate integral
    [tex]\int \sin{x} \sqrt{(\cos{x})^2 + 1}dx[/tex]
    I decided to use substitution initially, setting u = cos x. dx = du/-sin(x), thus eliminating the sin(x) and leaving [tex]\int \sqrt{u^2 + 1}du [/tex]
    I then thought my best bet would be to approach this with trignometric substitution. I said tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) = u so
    [tex]\sec{\theta}^2d\theta = du [/tex]
    [tex]\int (\sec{\theta})^2\sqrt{(\tan(\theta)} +1)dx [/tex]
    I then evaluated [tex]\sqrt{ (\tan{\theta})^2 +1 } = (\sec{\theta})[/tex]
    Thus, my integral was simplified (relatively) down to
    [tex] \int (\sec{\theta})^3 d\theta [/tex]
    It just gets worse from there. Am I making some horrid mistake in my trignometric substitution or before or have I completely approached this incorrectly? I have more work that I've done, but I want to ensure that this is correct so far. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

try u = sinht

4. Oct 21, 2005 #3
    It looks a-ok so far. Just don't forget the minus sign in your first u-substitution.

Do you know how to integrate secant cubed?

5. Oct 22, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your brother is a smart-ass!

To integrate [itex]sec^3(\theta)d(\theta)[/itex], first write it as [itex]\frac{d\theta}{cos^3(\theta)}[/itex]. Now multiply numerator and denominator by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] to get [itex]\frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos^4(\theta)}= \frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{(1-sin^2(\theta)^2}[/itex].
    Let [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex] and this becomes [itex]\frac{dy}{(1-y^2)^2}[/itex] which can be done by partial fractions.

6. Oct 22, 2005 #5
    When I was in calculus I was taught that the only way to integrate secant cubed was by parts. Obviously this is not the case :rolleyes: .

By parts does not take too long, if you remember what to choose for u and dV!

7. Oct 22, 2005 #6
    To elaborate on what Fermat said, the integral can be written as:

[tex]\int\sqrt{1+x^2}\,dx[/tex]

Then you can use the suggested substitution.

And speaking of parts, try using dv = sec2θ.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  8. Oct 22, 2005 #7
    Thanks to everyone who replied. For some reason, I didn't think about attempting integration by parts.

Thanks to suggestsions everyone, I'll try them out. A question though, for the y = sinh(t), if I'm correct, is that hyperbolic trignometric substitution? I'm not very familiar with hyperbolic functions. I'll read up on it. Thanks to everyone. Once I get some more work done on it, I'll post again to see if I did it correctly.

9. Oct 22, 2005 #8

Fermat

Homework Helper

Yes, that's a hyperbolic substitution. I goes like this,

[tex]\int\ \sqrt{u^2 + 1}\ du[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{let } u = sinh\ t\mbox{, then,}[/tex]

[tex]du = cosh\ t\ dt[/tex]

carrying out the substitution,

[tex]\int\ \sqrt{sinh^2\ t + 1}\cdot cosh\ t\ dt[/tex]
    [tex]\int\ \sqrt{cosh^2\ t}\cdot cosh\ t\ dt[/tex]
    [tex]\int\ cosh^2\ t\ dt[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{There is an ordinary trig identity, } cos^2 x = \frac{1}{2} (1 + cos2x)[/tex]
    all you have to do now is find the equivalent hyperbolic trig identity (try google), substitute, integrate, and back-substitute for x in the original integral.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  10. Oct 22, 2005 #9
    Fascinating: I've never seen hyperbolic trignometry used for substitution. Thank you for elucidating on that. I''ll go study up on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?