.Finding Angular Acceleration of a Seesaw

In summary, the goal of the summarizer was to find the angular acceleration of the seesaw. They found that the swing bar of mass is pivoted at a different point, which affects the moment of inertia. Additionally, they found that the net torque is not in absolute value, but in terms of g*(m_1*l/3+m_2*2*l/3+m_bar*l). However, they were still having trouble with the torque.
laminatedevildoll
My main goal was the find the angular acceleration of the seesaw.

The swing bar of mass is pivoted at a different point, as shown in the figure.

Find the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the swing bar. Be sure to use the absolute value function in your answer, since no comparison of m1 ,m2, mbar and has been made.

So naturally, I tried to find the moment of inertia
The inertia of the bar is 1/12m_bar(L)^2
The inertia of the two masses are (m_1)*(l/3)^2+(m_2)*(2*l/3)^2

Adding together the total inertia is

(m_bar/12)*(l/3+2*l/3)^2+(m_1)*(l/3)^2+(m_2)*(2*l/3)^2

where l/2 and 2l/3 are the radiuses that are away from m1, m2, respectively.

But unfortunately, this is not the correct answer.

I also tried to find the net torque. And this should be in absolute value because m2 and m1 are not given.

So I thought it was abs(g*(m_1*l/3-m_2*2*l/3)) but it was wrong.

This problem is driving me crazy! I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this system in equilibrium, and was later than applied by a negligible external force? And can you please varify the parameters of this solution?

Seesaw

This is the actual problem (static equilibrium)
In this problem, you will practice applying this formula to several situations involving angular acceleration. In all of these situations, two objects of masses m_1 and m_2 are attached to a seesaw. The seesaw is made of a bar that has length l and is pivoted so that it is free to rotate in the vertical plane without friction.

You are to find the angular acceleration of the seesaw when it is set in motion from the horizontal position. In all cases, assume that m_1>m_2.
m_2 is on the right side, m_1 is on the left side.
There were other parts to this problem, which I figured out.

Part A
The seesaw is pivoted in the middle, and the mass of the swing bar is negligible
Acceleration due to gravity =(2*(m_1-m_2)*g)/((m_1+m_2)*l)

Part B
Now consider a similar situation, except that now the swing bar itself has mass m_bar.
So, since the inertia of the bar is 1/12*m_bar*l^2
Angular A = (g*(m_1-m_2))/(l/2*(m_bar/3+m_1+m_2))

Part C
This time, the swing bar of mass is pivoted at a different point

...l/3..m_bar...2l/3...
<______*__________________>
m_1......m_2

This, time m_1, m_2 is negligible, so I have to use the absolute value for the net torque.

I first tried to calculate Inertia

Inertia of m_bar
I=(1/12)*m_bar*(l/3+2l/3)^2
Inertia of m_1
I= (m_1)*(l/3)^2
Inertia of m_2
I=(m_2)*(2l/3)

So the total inertia would be everything above added together, but the answer is different. I just don't see the problem.

The torque which I got was abs(g*(m_1*l/3+m_2*2*l/3 +m_bar*l)) is also wrong.

Last edited:
The torque,which I calculated g*(abs((l/6)*m_bar)-((l/3)*m_1)-(2*(l/3)*m_2)) is wrong! There is something wrong with the signs.

Okay, so I had a lightbulb moment. Since the bar isn't centered, I need to use the parallel axis theorem. I=I_cm+Md^2
I bar is l^2/12*(m_bar+m_bar/3)

So, the inertia might be l^2/12*(m_bar+m_bar/3)+(l^2/9*(m_1+4*m_2)) but not so sure...

In any case, I am still having trouble with the torque...

Last edited:
angular acceleration = (g*(abs((l/6)*m_bar)-((l/3)*m_1)-(2*(l/3)*m_2)))/((l^2/12*(m_bar+m_bar/3))+(l^2/9*(m_1+4*m_2)))
but when I typed it in, it says that I need to check over my signs... I need to include the absolute value for torque because the masses are unknown. HELP!

Last edited:

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

What factors affect the angular acceleration of a seesaw?

The angular acceleration of a seesaw is affected by the mass and distribution of weight on each end of the seesaw, as well as the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass on each side.

Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. This means that the object's rotational speed is decreasing over time.

How does friction affect the angular acceleration of a seesaw?

Friction can have a significant impact on the angular acceleration of a seesaw. It can slow down the rotation and cause the seesaw to stop moving altogether if the friction is strong enough.