Self-study AP Physics C after taking IB Physics SL & Calc?

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior planning to major in Physics in college. They took IB Physics SL last year and got a 4 on the test, but struggled with unit tests. They are currently excelling in AP Calculus BC and have completed all other science courses in their high school. They are considering self-studying for the AP Physics C exams in May, but the suggested taking a physics course at a local college or through distance learning as a more practical option.
J. Cole Kaplan
I am a current High School senior intending on majoring in Physics in college. Last year I took IB Physics SL and got a 4 on the test but kept my head above water on all the unit tests. I'm currently taking AP Calculus BC and am doing very well. I have exhausted all other science classes in my High School so I'm currently not enrolled in anything. I'd like to be realistic about my own abilities so would self-studying the AP Physics C curriculum and then taking both tests in May be a reasonable decision? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think taking a physics course at a local college would make more sense. If you don't have a local option, there are some distance learning options for college physics courses.

1. How difficult is it to self-study AP Physics C after taking IB Physics SL & Calc?

It can be challenging to self-study AP Physics C after taking IB Physics SL & Calc because AP Physics C covers more advanced topics and requires a deeper understanding of calculus. However, with dedication and effective study strategies, it is definitely achievable.

2. Do I need to have a strong foundation in calculus to self-study AP Physics C?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus is essential for self-studying AP Physics C. Many of the concepts in AP Physics C, such as derivatives and integrals, require a solid understanding of calculus. It is recommended to review and practice calculus concepts before starting the self-study process.

3. What resources are available for self-studying AP Physics C?

There are many resources available for self-studying AP Physics C, including textbooks, online videos and tutorials, practice problems and exams, and review books. It is important to choose resources that align with the AP Physics C curriculum and to use a variety of resources for a well-rounded understanding of the material.

4. Is it possible to self-study AP Physics C in a short period of time?

It is possible to self-study AP Physics C in a short period of time, but it is not recommended. AP Physics C covers a vast amount of material, and it is important to allow enough time for thorough understanding and practice. It is recommended to start the self-study process early and dedicate a consistent amount of time each day.

5. What tips do you have for successfully self-studying AP Physics C?

Some tips for successfully self-studying AP Physics C include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, actively engaging with the material by taking notes and practicing problems, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and continuously reviewing and practicing previous topics. It is also important to stay motivated and focused throughout the self-study process.