Senior Thesis in Chemistry: Ideas for High Schoolers

In summary, two high school seniors at a liberal arts school in Florida were initially planning on doing separate science projects for their capstone program, but then decided to tie them together for the state science fair. However, after encountering challenges with their initial hypothesis, they are now seeking suggestions for a topic that combines their interests in renewable energy and pharmacology while remaining feasible for high school students. One potential idea is to examine the concept of human battery as depicted in The Matrix.
echandler
At my high school in central Florida, all seniors are given the chance to take part in a capstone program, a program that mimics a college senior thesis program. My school is a liberal arts school, so most do something on a literary and historical topic, but my friend and I are very much scientifically and mathematically oriented, so we decided to push the bounds and do a science project. Both of us want to do the state science fair too. So we thought we could do separate, but related, theses, and then tie them together for the science fair, you know, kill two birds with one stone. Both of us really like chemistry, so, given our specific interests, we decided that I should take something on the physical side of chemistry and she would take something on the biological side, and then tie them together for the science fair. Our supervisor, when we met with him, led us to something slightly different. He led us to a hypothisis which stated, "The body will process and digest certain foods differently, creating different hormones. Those hormones, based on their various functions, will stimulate different processes in the body, creating different behaviors and moods. Thus, certain diets will induce certain behaviors." We were skeptical, but went with it, even through hearing things from other people like "Statistical nightmare" and "Seniors in college wish they could do something like this," but, after talking to a Vanderbilt endocrinologist, and hearing the words "twelve thousand dollars" we both realized this was crazy. So now we are back to square one, back to the intention of taking the two sides of chemistry, the physical side, and the biological side, and then tying them together for the science fair. Do y'all have any suggestions for a topic that could work like this, that would not be terribly expensive and possible to do for high school seniors, but still a challenge. Both of us like really anything, though she wants to be a pharmacist and I want to go into the renewable energy business, though I don't know how those would be tied together. Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmmmmm ... renewable energy and pharmacology on a limited budget.

How about a rigorous scientific assessment of the "human battery" concept as depicted in The Matrix?

1. What is a senior thesis in chemistry?

A senior thesis in chemistry is a research project that high school students can choose to undertake during their final year of school. It allows students to explore a specific topic in depth and demonstrate their understanding of chemistry concepts and techniques.

2. How do I choose a topic for my senior thesis in chemistry?

You can choose a topic for your senior thesis by considering your interests, speaking with your chemistry teacher for guidance, and researching current advancements in the field. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that is feasible for you to research and complete within the given timeframe.

3. What are some ideas for senior thesis topics in chemistry?

Some ideas for senior thesis topics in chemistry include: investigating the effects of different pH levels on the growth of plants, exploring the use of renewable energy sources in chemical reactions, analyzing the composition of different types of water, studying the chemical properties and reactions of common household products, and researching the potential uses of nanotechnology in the field of chemistry.

4. What is the process for conducting a senior thesis in chemistry?

The process for conducting a senior thesis in chemistry typically involves choosing a topic, conducting research, designing and performing experiments, analyzing data, and writing a comprehensive report. You may also need to present your findings to your peers and teachers.

5. How can a senior thesis in chemistry benefit me?

A senior thesis in chemistry can benefit you in several ways. It allows you to develop your research and critical thinking skills, gain a deeper understanding of chemistry concepts and techniques, and explore a topic of interest in depth. Additionally, it can be a valuable addition to your college applications and can help you stand out to potential employers in the future.