How can I separate tan x and sin x in a limit problem?

• Thread starter harman the destroyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin Tan
In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using a power series expansion, but found that the limits did not converge and so resorted to a half-angle formula.
harman the destroyer

Homework Statement

there is one question
limx--->0tanx-sinx/x3

i actually tried to seprate tanx and sinx amd then i multiplied and divided by tan2x and sin2x so that i can make tan3x/x3and sin3x/x3 to be 1 and in the end sin2x canceled and i got the answer as -1 which is wrong

what errror have i done here

i hope this is in homework section

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have the right idea in trying to separate ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{tan(x)-sin(x)}{x^3}## into two terms. But why don't you try to use L'Hopital's rule consecutively for each term?

I think it would work better than multiplying and dividing the whole equation by ##tan(2x)## and the like.

harman the destroyer said:
tried to seprate tanx and sinx
Not a good idea. ##\frac{\tan(x)}{x^3}## and ##\frac{\sin(x)}{x^3}## will each tend to infinity and you will end up with ∞-∞.

Likes Delta2
The simplest way is to use the power series expansions of sin and cos, but I don't know whether you are permitted that.

Last edited:
Use 3 times the Le Hopital Rule in the original fraction. The denominator will become 6, and I believe you can handle what's in the numerator.

EDIT: Using only 2 times the rule might be enough as well.

EDIT2: If you are not allowed to use Le Hop rule, then by replacing tanx=sinx/cosx and doing some algebra you can endup with 2sinx-sin(2x) in the numerator (and 2x^3cosx in the denominator).

Wolfram says that
##2sinx-sin(2x)=8sin^3(\frac{x}{2})cos(\frac{x}{2}) (1)##

and I guess after that it can go easy since you ll have essentially ##(sin(\frac{x}{2})/\frac{x}{2})^3## limit but right now I can't see the trigonometry required to establish (1).

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
Yes, you have the right idea in trying to separate ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{tan(x)-sin(x)}{x^3}## into two terms. But why don't you try to use L'Hopital's rule consecutively for each term?

I think it would work better than multiplying and dividing the whole equation by ##tan(2x)## and the like.

Actually in my school exams we are not allowed to use l'hospital rule we can use it only in competitve exams
haruspex said:
Not a good idea. ##\frac{\tan(x)}{x^3}## and ##\frac{\sin(x)}{x^3}## will each tend to infinity and you will end up with ∞-∞.
Let me try to make u understand

I am saying that i separated tanx term and sine x term

Now i multiplied and divided tan term with tan^2x and sin with si^2x

Then i combine tan^3x and limit comes out to be 1 and i am left with tan^2x in denominator and similar i have done with sine then i used 1-sin^2x =cos^2x property and got -1
Do it step by step as i have done
U will understand what i want to convey
haruspex said:
The simplest way is to use the power series expansions of sin and cos, but I don't know whether you are permitted that.
No

You are doing a subtle mistake. You do not have the right to recombine the separate limits (1/tan^2x) and (-1/sin^2x)

The summation rule for limits
##\lim f(x)+g(x)=\lim f(x)+\lim g(x)##
holds only if the separate limits exist and at least one of them is a real number or both are ##+\infty## or both are ##-\infty##. Here one goes to ##+\infty## and the other to ##-\infty## so the summation rule can not apply.

Last edited:
@Delta2
factor out sin(x) in the numerator and bring the terms to common denominator: ##\frac {\sin(x)} {\cos(x)} \frac{1-cos(x)}{x^3}##.
Use the half-angle formula to replace 1-cos(x) by 2 sin2(x/2). Now you can group the factors in form of sin(x)/x and
sin (x/2)/(x/2).

Likes Delta2
o
Delta² said:
You are doing a subtle mistake. You do not have the right to recombine the separate limits (1/tan^2x) and (-1/sin^2x)

The limit rule for summation
##\lim f(x)+g(x)=\lim f(x)+\lim g(x)##
holds only if the separate limits exist and converge to real numbers or both to ##+\infty## or both to ##-\infty##. Here one goes to ##+\infty## and the other to ##-\infty## so the summation rule can not apply.
h thanks i was unaware of this fact thanku so much

Likes Delta2
then i multiplied and divided by tan2x and sin2x so that i can make tan3x/x3and sin3x/x3
The above is unreadable without context. tan2x and tan3x could be confused with ##\tan(2x)## and ##\tan(3x)##. Since you apparently mean ##\tan^2(x)## and ##\tan^3(x)##, at least write these as tan^2(x) and tan^3(x). Be sure to use parentheses. Also, use ^ to denote an exponent, as x^3 rather than x3.

i did but i don't know why it is not showing i will take care of this

Homework Statement

there is one question
limx--->0tanx-sinx/x3

i actually tried to seprate tanx and sinx amd then i multiplied and divided by tan2x and sin2x so that i can make tan3x/x3and sin3x/x3 to be 1 and in the end sin2x canceled and i got the answer as -1 which is wrong

what errror have i done here

i hope this is in homework section

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You are writing
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \tan x - 3 \frac{\sin x}{x} $$
when we read your problem statement using standard parsing rules for mathematical expressions. Is that really what you mean?

You need parentheses, because "a-b/c" reads as ##a - \frac{b}{c}##; if you want ##\frac{a-b}{c}## you need brackets: "(a-b)/c". Also, you need to distinguish between x3 (that is, ##3x##) and x^3 (that is, ##x^3##). More to the point, "a/x3" means ##\frac{a}{x} 3 = 3 \frac{a}{x}##.

haruspex said:
The simplest way is to use the power series expansions of sin and cos
That's definitely not the simplest way, and probably isn't appropriate for someone just starting to learn about limits.

Delta² said:
Use 3 times the Le Hopital Rule in the original fraction
As already noted, the OP has been told that L'Hopital is not allowed.

As an alternative to the advice given by @ehild in post #8, a different identity can be used.
##\frac{\tan(x) - \sin(x)}{x^3} = \frac{\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} - \sin(x)}{x^3} = \frac{\sin(x)(1 - \cos(x))}{x^3\cos(x)}##
Simply multiply num. and denom. by ##1 + \cos(x)##. Another step gets you the product of two fractions whose limit can be taken without much effort.

Likes ehild
Mark44 said:
As an alternative to the advice given by @ehild in post #8, a different identity can be used.
##\frac{\tan(x) - \sin(x)}{x^3} = \frac{\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} - \sin(x)}{x^3} = \frac{\sin(x)(1 - \cos(x))}{x^3\cos(x)}##
Simply multiply num. and denom. by ##1 + \cos(x)##. Another step gets you the product of two fractions whose limit can be taken without much effort.
It is really the simplest way ! :oldcool:

Likes Mark44

1. How do you solve for tan x and sin x separately?

To solve for tan x and sin x separately, you can use the trigonometric identities tan x = sin x/cos x and sin x = cos x/tan x. Rearrange the equations to solve for the desired variable.

2. Can you use the Pythagorean identity to separate tan x and sin x?

Yes, the Pythagorean identity (sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1) can be used to separate tan x and sin x. By dividing both sides of the equation by cos^2 x and rearranging, you can solve for tan x in terms of sin x.

3. Is it possible to solve for tan x and sin x simultaneously?

No, it is not possible to solve for tan x and sin x simultaneously. These two trigonometric functions are dependent on each other and cannot be solved independently.

4. What is the difference between tan x and sin x?

Tan x and sin x are both trigonometric functions, but they represent different ratios of a triangle's side lengths. Tan x represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side, while sin x represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

5. Can you use a calculator to separate tan x and sin x?

Yes, most scientific calculators have separate buttons for tan x and sin x, making it easy to solve for each function separately. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and identities to accurately solve for these functions.