What is the total charge in a series capacitor circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a series capacitor arrangement and the understanding that the charge on each capacitor is the same. It is also mentioned that this arrangement can be replaced with an effective capacitor, which leads to a disagreement about the charge on this effective capacitor being the same as that of one individual capacitor. The person being spoken to is confused about the total charge in the circuit and is seeking clarification. The other person explains that the net charge on the string of capacitors would be zero and the plates at either end of the string would represent the equivalent capacitor.
Jamessamuel
Hello,
So in a series capacitor arrangement, I understand that the charge on each capacitor is the same. I also appreciate that you can replace the array with an effective capacitor. What I am not in agreement with is the fact that the charge on this effective capacitor is the same as the charge on one of the capacitors. Surely if they all have accumulated the same amount of electrons than you should multiply the number of capacitors by this amount to get the effective charge. What is being said to me is that the total charge In the circuit is equal to the charge on one capacitor?!

Please rescue me from this conceptual calamity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. What they probably mean is that the charges are the same as that *one* effective capacitor.

You do realize that the net charge on that string of capacitors, including all plates, would be zero? Consider the plates at either end of the string of capacitors: those are the plates of the equivalent capacitor. (The charge on the intermediate plates all cancels out.)

1. What is a series capacitor?

A series capacitor is a type of capacitor that is connected in series with other components in an electrical circuit. It is used to store and release electrical charge, and can be used for various purposes such as filtering, tuning, and power factor correction.

2. How does a series capacitor work?

A series capacitor works by storing electric charge on the plates of the capacitor when it is connected to a power source. When the power source is removed, the capacitor releases this stored charge, creating a voltage across the plates. This voltage can then be used to power other components in the circuit.

3. What is the charge of a series capacitor?

The charge of a series capacitor is the amount of electric charge that is stored on the plates of the capacitor. It is measured in coulombs (C) and is directly proportional to the voltage across the capacitor and the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. How is a series capacitor different from a parallel capacitor?

A series capacitor is connected in series with other components in a circuit, while a parallel capacitor is connected in parallel with other components. This means that the voltage across a series capacitor is the same as the voltage across the circuit, while the voltage across a parallel capacitor is divided among the components in the circuit. Additionally, the capacitance in a series capacitor adds up, while in a parallel capacitor it adds up in inverse.

5. What are the advantages of using series capacitors?

Series capacitors have several advantages, such as their ability to store and release large amounts of charge, their small size and lightweight, and their low cost. They are also useful for filtering out unwanted frequencies in a circuit, and can improve the power factor of an electrical system.