Find the Min. Series Resistors for 9V & 0.25W

In summary, to connect a 47-ohm resistor in series across a 9.0-V battery without it burning up, you would need a minimum of 2 such resistors. This is found by setting the power being dissipated by each resistor equal to 0.25 W and solving for the number of resistors required.
soul5

Homework Statement

A 47 resistor can dissipate up to 0.25-W of power without burning up. What is the smallest number of such resistors that can be connected in series across a 9.0-V battery without anyone of them burning up>

Homework Equations

V=IR
P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
soul5 said:

Homework Statement

A 47 resistor can dissipate up to 0.25-W of power without burning up. What is the smallest number of such resistors that can be connected in series across a 9.0-V battery without anyone of them burning up>

You could start by considering what would happen with a single 47-ohm resistor connected to the 9-V battery. How much current would be flowing through it? How much power would it be dissipating? (The equations you list will tell you this.)

Now consider connecting two of these resistors in series to the battery. How much resistance would be in the circuit? How much current would be flowing through either resistor? How much power would each resistor be dissipating?

You could jump to N of these resistors in series and again answer the questions in the preceding paragraph using an expression involving N. Now, using your expression for the power being dissipated by anyone of the N resistors in series, set that expression equal to 0.25 W and solve for N. (If necessary, round up to the nearest integer.) This will be the smallest number of resistors required. Any larger number of them will reduce the current further and thus the power being dissipated in each resistor.

Based on the given information, we can use the equation P=IV to calculate the current (I) that will flow through the resistor. We know that the voltage (V) is 9V and the power (P) is 0.25W, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for current:

I = P/V = 0.25W/9V = 0.0278A

Now, we can use the equation V=IR to calculate the resistance (R) needed for this current to flow through the resistor. We know that the voltage (V) is 9V and the current (I) is 0.0278A, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for resistance:

R = V/I = 9V/0.0278A = 323.74Ω

Since we are looking for the smallest number of resistors, we can use the smallest commonly available resistor value, which is 330Ω. This means that we would need at least two 330Ω resistors in series to handle the 9V and 0.25W without burning up.

To confirm this, we can calculate the total power dissipated by the two resistors in series:

P = IV = (0.0278A)(9V) = 0.2502W

This is very close to the maximum power of 0.25W that the resistors can handle, so we know that two resistors in series will be enough.

Therefore, the minimum number of 330Ω resistors needed in series to handle 9V and 0.25W is two.

1. What is the purpose of finding the minimum series resistors for 9V & 0.25W?

The purpose of finding the minimum series resistors is to ensure that the voltage and power requirements of a circuit are met while also preventing damage to the components.

2. How do I calculate the minimum series resistors for a 9V & 0.25W circuit?

To calculate the minimum series resistors, you will need to use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. In this case, you will need to divide 9V by 0.25W to get the minimum resistance needed for the circuit.

3. Can I use a single resistor instead of multiple series resistors?

Yes, it is possible to use a single resistor instead of multiple series resistors. However, you must ensure that the resistor has the correct resistance value to meet the voltage and power requirements of the circuit.

4. What happens if I use resistors with higher values than the minimum?

If you use resistors with higher values than the minimum, it will decrease the current flowing through the circuit. This can result in lower power output and affect the overall performance of the circuit.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when selecting the minimum series resistors?

Yes, you should also consider the tolerance, power rating, and temperature coefficient of the resistors. These factors can affect the accuracy and stability of the circuit.