Troubleshooting Series LC Filter: No Resonance, Voltage Gain, or Current Output

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a series LC filter to filter out certain frequencies. The filter consists of a 1.923 Henry DC filter choke inductor and a 0.1 micro Farad capacitor. However, there seems to be no resonance, voltage gain, or current output. The expert suggests checking the input and desired frequencies and explains the use of a passive filter. They also mention the need for a 10 ohm resistor for high current flow in the series circuit.
Idea04
I'm having problems filtering out certain frequencies from others with a series LC filter. I have a 1.923 Henry DC filter choke inductor set in series with a 0.1 micro Farad capacitor. I send the signal through the inductor to the capacitor and output from the other side of the capacitor. I'm getting no resonance, no voltage gain and no current output. What am I doing wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi idea04-
I show two filters with the component values you are using. What kind of filter do you want, series filter, or T (shunt) filter?
Bob S

Attachments

• Filter_Series_res10.jpg
    Filter_Series_res10.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 327
  • Filter_T_res10.jpg
    Filter_T_res10.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 301
To get voltage gain from a series tuned circuit, it needs to be set up as in the attached diagram.

I estimate it would resonate at about 363 Hz.

The 10 ohm resistor is necessary to complete a high current path through the series circuit.

Edit, sorry, the attachment didn't upload. Tried again.

Attachments

• series cct.JPG
    series cct.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

1. What is a series LC filter and what is its purpose?

A series LC filter is a circuit that consists of a capacitor and an inductor connected in series. Its purpose is to filter out unwanted frequencies from a signal, allowing only the desired frequency to pass through.

2. Why might a series LC filter have no resonance?

A series LC filter may have no resonance due to incorrect component values or a faulty connection in the circuit. It is important to double check the values of the capacitor and inductor and ensure they are connected in the correct orientation.

3. How can I troubleshoot if my series LC filter has no voltage gain?

If your series LC filter has no voltage gain, first check the input and output connections to make sure they are correct. Then, measure the voltage across the capacitor and inductor to see if they are in phase. If they are out of phase, it could indicate a faulty component or incorrect values.

4. What could be causing no current output in my series LC filter?

No current output in a series LC filter could be caused by a short circuit in the circuit, incorrect component values, or a faulty connection. It is important to check all components and connections to ensure they are functioning properly.

5. How can I increase the current output in my series LC filter?

To increase the current output in a series LC filter, you can try increasing the input voltage, using a higher quality inductor and capacitor, or adding a buffer amplifier to the circuit. It is also important to make sure the circuit is properly designed and all components are working correctly.