Partial Sums for Series: Solving Using Partial Fractions

With that, we can set up the partial fraction decomposition: ##\frac{16}{16n^2 + 8n - 35} = \frac{A}{4n - 5} + \frac{B}{4n + 7} + \frac{C}{(4n + 7)^2}##. Clearing out the denominators gives ##16 = A(4n + 7)(4n + 7) + B(4n + 7)(4n - 5) + C(4n - 5)##. For the next step, you can set values of n to 0, -1, and 1 to get a system of equations for A
gkamal

Homework Statement

t5672v.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

an= bn - bn+1 which is already in the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
i did partial fractions but then i got stuck at

16/12 [4n-5] - 16/12 [4n+7] that part about bn confuses me please someone explain in detail

Physics news on Phys.org
gkamal said:

Homework Statement

t5672v.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

an= bn - bn+1 which is already in the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
i did partial fractions but then i got stuck at

16/12 [4n-5] - 16/12 [4n+7] that part about bn confuses me please someone explain in detail
Where's the equation you're working with?
Starting from ##\frac{16}{16n^2 + 8n - 35} = \frac{A}{4n - 5} + \frac{B}{4n + 7}##, multiply both sides by ##16n^2 + 8n - 35## to clear out all of the denominators. Then solve for the constants A and B.

i did and i get 16/12 for A and - 16/12 for B as i indicated above the problem is what is the next step

I think there's a typo in the problem. It should say ##a_n = b_n - b_{n+3}##.

Related to Partial Sums for Series: Solving Using Partial Fractions

1. What is a series of partial sums?

A series of partial sums is a sequence of numbers obtained by adding up the terms of a series in a step-by-step manner. Each partial sum is the sum of a certain number of terms from the original series.

2. How is a series of partial sums related to a series?

A series of partial sums is a way of representing a series. It shows the progression of the sums as more and more terms are added, which can help in understanding the behavior and convergence of a series.

3. What is the purpose of using a series of partial sums?

A series of partial sums can help in evaluating the convergence or divergence of a series. It can also be used to approximate the value of a series by using a finite number of terms.

4. Is there a formula for finding the nth partial sum of a series?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the nth partial sum of a series. It is given by Sn = a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an, where a1, a2, a3, ... are the terms of the series.

5. How can a series of partial sums be used to test for convergence?

A series is said to be convergent if the sequence of partial sums approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. So, by observing the behavior of the series of partial sums, we can determine if the series is convergent or divergent.