Setting up Kolmogorov's Backward Equations

• Thread starter dmatador
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two machines with exponential lifetimes and one repairman with an exponential service rate. The questions focus on setting up the Kolmogorov backward equations for this scenario and working the transition rates into the formula. The individual also mentions using a matrix to solve the transition probabilities but is unsure how to do so. The expert requests the answers to two questions before providing further assistance.
dmatador
Consider two machines, both of which have an exponential lifetime with mean 1/λ. There is one repairman who can service machines at an exponential rate of μ.

How does one set up the Kolmogorov backward equations for such a scenario? I am not sure after finding the rates how to work those into the formula, or turn them into the formula, rather.

Physics news on Phys.org
dmatador said:
Consider two machines, both of which have an exponential lifetime with mean 1/λ. There is one repairman who can service machines at an exponential rate of μ.

How does one set up the Kolmogorov backward equations for such a scenario? I am not sure after finding the rates how to work those into the formula, or turn them into the formula, rather.

Show your work. In particular: what are the states? What are the transition rates? Once you have the transition rate matrix you can just apply the textbook expressions for the backward Komogorov equations.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Show your work. In particular: what are the states? What are the transition rates? Once you have the transition rate matrix you can just apply the textbook expressions for the backward Komogorov equations.

RGV

So you use a matrix to solve the transition probabilities in the backwards equations? Can you elaborate on this. I am using Ross's book "Introduction to
Probability Models" and he doesn't explain how to do this, at least not in this section.

Before answering that, could you please tell me your answers to my two questions: (i) what are the states?; and (ii) what are the transition rates? If you don't have the correct answers to these two questions there would be no point in proceeding further now.

RGV

1. What is Kolmogorov's Backward Equations?

Kolmogorov's Backward Equations, also known as the Kolmogorov Forward-Backward Equations, are a set of differential equations used in probability theory to describe the evolution of a stochastic process backward in time.

2. Why are Kolmogorov's Backward Equations important?

Kolmogorov's Backward Equations are important because they provide a mathematical framework for analyzing and predicting the behavior of stochastic processes, which are random processes that evolve over time. They are widely used in fields such as finance, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you set up Kolmogorov's Backward Equations?

To set up Kolmogorov's Backward Equations, you first need to define the stochastic process you are studying and its initial conditions. Then, you can use the chain rule to derive the equations by considering the infinitesimal changes in the probability distribution over time.

4. What are the assumptions behind Kolmogorov's Backward Equations?

The main assumptions behind Kolmogorov's Backward Equations are that the stochastic process is Markovian, meaning that its future evolution is only dependent on its current state, and that the process is stationary, meaning that its statistical properties do not change over time.

5. What are some real-world applications of Kolmogorov's Backward Equations?

Kolmogorov's Backward Equations have been applied in various fields, including finance for option pricing and risk management, physics for modeling the behavior of particles, and biology for population dynamics and evolutionary processes. They are also used in time series analysis and machine learning for predicting future events based on past data.