Shear force and bending moment diagrams question

In summary, when solving for shear and moment in a beam, it is important to follow the convention of drawing the diagrams from left to right. The sign of the shear will change when the figure is flipped, but the moment will remain the same. Additionally, it is important to note that the directions of the shears and moments in the free body diagrams should be consistent regardless of the viewing direction.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

So in my notes we have the following example:
1oNEeJg.png

So I decided to try to solve it another way, this time I flipped the figure and here is my attempt:
aOwzV6o.png

I got the correct moment but then the signs on my shear is flipped. Does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct, when you flip the beam, the shear changes sign but the moment does not. This is the convention used. Always draw shear and moment diagrams from left to right. In this manner, the area under the shear diagram between 2 points will be equal to the change in moment between those 2 points. And the slope of the moment diagram at any point will be equal to the shear at that point. Stick with the convention.
Edit: regardless of convention, some of the directions of the shears and moments in your free body diagrams are shown in the wrong direction. The directions on a cut section are the same no matter from what direction you look at the beam.

Last edited:

1. What are shear force and bending moment diagrams?

Shear force and bending moment diagrams are graphical representations of the internal forces and moments acting on a structural member, such as a beam, under external loads.

2. Why are shear force and bending moment diagrams important?

Shear force and bending moment diagrams are important because they provide engineers and designers with a visual understanding of how a structural member will behave under different loading conditions. This information is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of a structure.

3. How are shear force and bending moment diagrams calculated?

Shear force and bending moment diagrams are calculated using equations based on the principles of statics and mechanics of materials. The equations take into account the external loads, support conditions, and material properties of the structural member.

4. What do the different shapes on a shear force and bending moment diagram represent?

The shape of a shear force diagram represents the variation of shear forces along the length of the beam, while the shape of a bending moment diagram represents the variation of bending moments along the length of the beam. The positive and negative values on the diagrams indicate the direction of the internal forces and moments.

5. How can shear force and bending moment diagrams be used in structural design?

Shear force and bending moment diagrams can be used to determine the maximum stresses and deflections in a structural member, which are important considerations in the design process. They can also be used to identify critical locations where additional reinforcements may be needed to ensure the structural integrity of the member.