1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Dot-Product is Distributive

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    PLEASE Skip to post #14 after reading problem statement; I am trying to solve this without using components

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Griffith's E&M problem 1.1. I feel good about my life.

Using the definition [itex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} =AB\cos\theta[/itex] show that the dot product is distributive when

(a) the 3 vectors are coplanar
    (b)the general case

Okay then for part (a) I have started like this:

Let A B & C be 3 coplanar vectors. Let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle between A & B; let [itex]\phi[/itex] be between B & C and let [itex]\alpha[/itex] be between A & C

then

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot(\vec{B}+\vec{C})=|\vec{A}||\vec{B+C}|\cos\gamma[/tex]

where gamma is the angle between A and (B+C)

...now I am a little confused, i want to write that this implies

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot(\vec{B}+\vec{C})=(AB+AC)\cos\gamma[/tex]

but I am not sure if that is correct. And if it is, where to go from here?

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2
    I also drew this and came up with the four relationships seen in the box. I am not sure if this helps me :smile:
    Picture1-30.png

4. May 2, 2009 #3
    Let [tex]\vec{A} = (a_x,a_y)[/tex] etc. What is [tex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex] in terms of [tex]a_x, a_y, b_x [/tex] and [tex] b_y[/tex]?

5. May 2, 2009 #4
    I thought of using components, but the problem specifically asks to use the definition provided.

[itex]
    \vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} =AB\cos\theta[/itex]

6. May 3, 2009 #5
    Well the intermediate step would rely on the definition. Plus it's easy to generalize.

7. May 3, 2009 #6

[tex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}=(a_xb_x+a_yb_y)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow (\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})\cdot\vec{C}=(a_xb_xc_x+a_yb_yc_x)[/tex]

Right?

8. May 3, 2009 #7
    Not sure what this intermediate step is? I could do the same for [itex] \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B}\cdot\vec{C})[/itex] and show that they are equal w/out using the definition

9. May 3, 2009 #8
    Don't you mean [tex](\vec{A} + \vec{B})\cdot\vec{C}[/tex]?:confused:

10. May 3, 2009 #9
    The intermediate step is to say that [tex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}=(a_xb_x+a_yb_y)[/tex] which is easier to work with in this case. You don't need to say [itex] \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{B}\cdot\vec{C})[/itex] is equal to anything and in fact you can't because the dot product is only for vectors.

11. May 3, 2009 #10
    Sorry, I was working on another problem at the same time :smile:

One minute....

12. May 3, 2009 #11
    okay...I still don't see how this:

[tex](\vec{A} + \vec{B})\cdot\vec{C}=(a_x+b_x)c_x+(a_y+b_y)c_y=a_xc_x+b_xc_x+a_yc_y+b_yc_y=\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}+\vec{B}\cdot\vec{C}[/tex]

uses the definition of dot-product [itex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} =AB\cos\theta[/itex]

Sorry :confused:

13. May 3, 2009 #12
    To prove that

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=a_xb_x+a_yb_y[/tex]

you have to use the definition. If the angle of [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is [tex]\alpha [/tex] and the angle of [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] is [tex]\beta[/tex] then

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} = |\vec{A}||\vec{B}|\cos{(\alpha-\beta)}[/tex]

[tex]=|\vec{A}||\vec{B}|(\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta}+sin{\alpha}\sin{\beta})[/tex]

[tex]=|\vec{A}|\cos{\alpha}|\vec{B}|\cos\beta+|\vec{A}|sin{\alpha}|\vec{B}|\sin{\beta}[/tex]

[tex]=a_xb_x+a_yb_y[/tex]

14. May 3, 2009 #13
    This is an interesting approach. Thanks qntty!

The only thing is that the question is asked (in the text) before the component-wise definition of the Dot-Product is even given.

This leads me to wonder if there is a way to show that the dot-product is distributive without ever going into components.

I think that my original approach might lead somewhere. You have given me an idea to modify it though. I like how you used an absolute reference frame when naming your angles, instead of the way I named them (i.e., wrt the vectors themselves).

I will play around with this a little, but it is really difficult for me to see a way to do this w/out components coming into play.

Thanks again :smile:

15. May 3, 2009 #14
    Okay, scratch that last post. I am going to stick with my original way of labeling angles (i.e., wrt the vectors themselves, not the reference frame)

Here is my new diagram:

Picture3-13.png

Now, since I already know that the dot product distributes then I know that I am shooting for

[tex](\vec{A} + \vec{B})\cdot\vec{C}=\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}+\vec{ B}\cdot\vec{C}[/tex]

So the end result should be

something=[itex]|A||B|\cos\beta+|B||C|\cos\gamma[/itex]

From my diagram I have

[tex](\vec{A} + \vec{B})\cdot\vec{C}=|A||B+C|\cos\phi[/tex]

This leads me to believe that I must write [itex]\phi[/itex] in terms of [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex]

From my diagram, I also have the relationships:

[itex]\phi=\beta+s[/itex]
    [itex]\phi=(\beta+\gamma)-r[/itex]

Beta and gamma are 'known' and r, s, and phi are unknown....

Seems like I am one equation short of doing something. :smile:

Any ideas?

16. May 3, 2009 #15

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: [itex]|\vec{B}+\vec{C}|=[/itex]___?

17. May 3, 2009 #16
    I don't know without using components :confused:

18. May 3, 2009 #17

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try drawing the tail of the vector C at the head of the vector B and draw in the vector B+C. Draw all the angles in and use the law of cosines.

19. May 3, 2009 #18
    If I do it this way, I think that I will need to go back to defining the angle wrt a datum instead of from vector to vector... other wise, i do not know what angles to write in.

20. May 3, 2009 #19

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Extend a dotted line along the direction of B and label [itex]\gamma[/itex] the same way as before...you should quickly see that one of the angles in your triangle is [itex]\pi-\gamma[/itex]:wink:

21. May 3, 2009 #20
    Photo1-2.jpg

Hmmm. I don't see how an angle inside my triangle is pi-gamma.

Maybe I'm cooked ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook