Show that double integral does not exist

In summary, the homework statement says that there is no integral for the h(x,y) function, but mathematicians have found a way to solve the problem using piecewise functions. However, the second part of the problem is still unknown.
bombz

Homework Statement

Here are my problems.[PLAIN]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2254/whatua.jpg

Homework Equations

possible conversions to polar coordinates but I doubt that's needed. Fubini's theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the h(x,y) integral does not exist, I got this:

i took the first integral with respect to y and I came up with (Integral)(bound 0 to infinity) of [LN (1+x^2 +y^2)/(2*y)] evaluated from 0 to infinity. As that is not possible, the limit does not exist.. correct? I have no clue how to show it properly.

The second part, I have no clue at all. The stupid piecewise functions i do not understand

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bombz said:

Homework Statement

Here are my problems.

[PLAIN]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2254/whatua.jpg

Homework Equations

possible conversions to polar coordinates but I doubt that's needed. Fubini's theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the h(x,y) integral does not exist, I got this:

i took the first integral with respect to y and I came up with (Integral)(bound 0 to infinity) of [LN (1+x^2 +y^2)/(2*y)] evaluated from 0 to infinity. As that is not possible, the limit does not exist.. correct? I have no clue how to show it properly.
This looks wrong to me. I think you are trying to say something like this:[tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + x^2} = ln(1 + x^2)[/tex]

It is not at all true that the integral of 1/<whatever> = ln(whatever).
bombz said:
The second part, I have no clue at all. The stupid piecewise functions i do not understand

Last edited by a moderator:
I immediately think polar coordinates when I see that:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{r}{1+r^2}drdt[/tex]

[tex]\pi/2\int_0^{\infty} \frac{r}{1+r^2}dr[/tex]

[tex]\pi/4\int_1^{\infty}\frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

[tex]\pi/4(\infty-0)[/tex]

bingo-bango.

Last edited:
You may also integrate in the following way:

[tex] I = \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+y^2}}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+(\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+y^2}})^2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+y^2}}dxdy[/tex]

[tex] = \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+y^2}}[\arctan(\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+y^2}})]|_{0}^{\infty}dy[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\pi}{2}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{ \sqrt{1+y^2}}dy[/tex]

Let [itex]y = \tan\theta[/itex], then [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+y^2}} = \cos\theta[/itex], thus

[tex]I = \frac{\pi}{2}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\cos\theta \sec\theta \tan\theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\pi}{2}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\tan\theta d\theta = -\frac{\pi}{2}[\ln\cos\theta]|_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} = -\frac{\pi}{2} [-\infty - 0][/tex] Done.

Related to Show that double integral does not exist

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the volume under a surface in two dimensions. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in two dimensions.

3. When does a double integral not exist?

A double integral does not exist when the function being integrated is not defined or is not continuous over the given region, or when the region itself is not well-defined or is unbounded.

4. How can you show that a double integral does not exist?

To show that a double integral does not exist, you can use various methods such as evaluating the integral along different paths within the region and showing that the results do not converge, or using mathematical theorems such as Fubini's theorem or the Cauchy-Riemann conditions.

5. What implications does a non-existent double integral have?

If a double integral does not exist, it means that the volume under the surface cannot be calculated using traditional methods and that the function or region being considered may have some irregularities or inconsistencies. This can limit the applicability and accuracy of certain mathematical models and can also lead to further investigations and developments in the field of mathematics.