Show that the origin is a critical point (linear differential equation)

In summary, the problem is asking to show that the origin (0,0) is a critical point of the given second-order linear differential equation, x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0. This can be done by converting the equation into a system of first-order equations, x' = y and y' = -10x - 25y, and finding the values of x and y that satisfy both equations when their derivatives are equal to zero. The general solution for the given equation is x = c1e-5x + c2xe-5x, and the correct solution for the operator method is D2 + 10D + 25 = 0.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that the origin (0,0) is a critical point. Write the linear differential equation in operator format and solve.

Homework Equations

x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to show that the origin is a critical point (without using a graph).

As for solving the 2nd-order linear differential equation, here's what I did:

x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0

Auxillary equation: m2 + 10m + 25 = 0
Roots: m1 = m2 = -5

General solution: x = c1e-5x + c2xe-5x

I believe my general solution is correct, but am not sure if I solved it by "operator method".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JJBladester! :wink:
JJBladester said:
Show that the origin (0,0) is a critical point. Write the linear differential equation in operator format and solve.

x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0

General solution: x = c1e-5x + c2xe-5x

I believe my general solution is correct, but am not sure if I solved it by "operator method".

Yes, that's the correct general solution :smile:

I think by operator format they just mean D2 + 10D + 25 = 0 :wink:

But I don't quite understand what is meant by (0,0) :confused:

does that mean that there is an initial condition of x' = 0 at x = 0?

if so, (0,0) is a critical point just by looking at x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0 … you don't need to solve it. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
I don't quite understand what is meant by (0,0) :confused:

does that mean that there is an initial condition of x' = 0 at x = 0?

if so, (0,0) is a critical point just by looking at x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0 … you don't need to solve it. :wink:

My professor said I should:

"Change the 2nd order DEQ into a system of first order DEQ's.
Basically...Let y=dx/dt and then substitute... When you get these two equations, set both derivatives equal to zero and solve for the x and y value that solves the system."

I'm still a little confused what that means.

Here is my attempt:

Let y = x', y'=x''

So x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0 becomes y' + 10y + 25x = 0.

-10y - 25x = 0
y = 0
-25x = 0
x = 0

Last edited:
hmm … I've no idea what he means :redface:

unless maybe he means put y = x' + 5x …

then y' + 5y = 0 …

dunno … as I said in my last post, I don't really understand the question :confused:

Let y= x'. Then x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0 becomes y'+ 10y+ 25x= 0 and we have the system of equations x'= y, y'= -10x-25y. A "critical point" is (x,y) such that x'= 0 and y'= 0.

HallsofIvy said:
Let y= x'. Then x'' + 10x' + 25x = 0 becomes y'+ 10y+ 25x= 0 and we have the system of equations x'= y, y'= -10x-25y. A "critical point" is (x,y) such that x'= 0 and y'= 0.

why can't we just put x'' = x' = 0 in the original equation, then, and forget about y? :confused:

What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point in the solution of a differential equation where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. This means that the slope of the function at that point is neither positive nor negative, and the function is essentially flat at that point.

How do you show that the origin is a critical point?

To show that the origin is a critical point in a linear differential equation, you need to substitute x=0 into the equation and solve for the derivative. If the derivative is equal to zero, then the origin is a critical point.

Why is it important to identify critical points in a linear differential equation?

Identifying critical points in a linear differential equation is important because they can give important information about the behavior of the solution. For example, if the origin is a critical point, it means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

Can the origin be a critical point in a non-linear differential equation?

No, the origin can only be a critical point in a linear differential equation. In non-linear differential equations, the critical points can be anywhere in the solution space and cannot be determined by simply substituting x=0.

How does the existence of a critical point affect the solution of a linear differential equation?

The existence of a critical point can affect the solution of a linear differential equation by changing the behavior of the solution. For example, if the critical point is a stable equilibrium point, the solution will approach the critical point as time goes on. On the other hand, if the critical point is an unstable equilibrium point, the solution will move away from the critical point as time goes on.