Show My Desktop - See How a Nerd Works!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary, Ivan's desktop is typical for a nerd, with a few quirky elements. His organizational method is unusual, and his wallpaper is of a politician.
GeorginaS said:
That's a spectacular looking thing, Lisa! Seriously, seriously cool.

Yes, very cool. But I'm rather turned off by the Mcafee "anti-virus" shortcut on the desktop. That program is absolute garbage and worse than the virus it supposedly defends against.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fairly fresh installs, but I normally have a pretty clean desktop anyway

Attachments

• Screenshot-1.jpg
    Screenshot-1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 340
JaWiB said:
Fairly fresh installs, but I normally have a pretty clean desktop anyway

That looks like a... a... a Microsoft flag! Doesn't your computer have brains enough to shoot that thing down on sight? (Oh, please don't tell me that you're running a Windows-burner. I couldn't stand the embarrassment of associating with you... :eek:)

oh i only have a pic of my desktop a year ago, i work away from home so i can't take a new one, but here goes

this was taken a year ago when i just got Win7, same background just way more cluter on it now

desktop.png

heres my work one

WorkDesk.png

i still have stuck to win XP and it's pretty uncluttered, since i usually prefer the start menu and the shortcut keys(i have a software installed, makes good shortcuts) to open what i want.

Nothing special there to see ...though i did have quite good desktop types(3D,multiple and all that) about two years ago.

sam_cursed said:
I'm sorry, I don't know how to make this **** smaller.

You are a very weird person. Do you have some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder?

But, you do like XKCD, so I guess you're okay in spite of your desktop.

@Char: I had the same wallpaper a month ago, ...got it from google...

Ivan Seeking said:
There is a rough grouping from left to right by function, with some prioretization from top to bottom, subgroups according to the brand [proprietary industrial software and such] and offsets to highlight frequently used programs. It is actually quite intuitive.

Matches with my background? I have no idea what that means. [edit: Do you mean the UFO stuff? Heh, that is a hobby, my background is in physics and engineering [and obviously, programming]. :smile:]

Can't imagine what background one would have with UFOs. :biggrin:
What I meant is your disktop's background/wall paper. I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but if one can't find a certain file easily [or if someone rearrange the icons/files on the disktop], just click on the disktop, then click the first letter of the file, if there's more than one file starts with the same letter, just keep clicking until you find it.
I personally don't like a crowded disktop. [which is now btw ]

I created my current desktop after Mandelbrot passed away (on Oct. 14th).
The second thumbnail is a zoom I use for my phone background.
Credit : both were created with ROOT

Attachments

• Snapshot 2010-12-03 11-47-28.jpg
    Snapshot 2010-12-03 11-47-28.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 442
  • Mandelbrot_zoom22.jpg
    Mandelbrot_zoom22.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Thought I'd stick mine in for the hell of it.

This is my desktop PC background. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Last edited:
And here's my Laptop.

Not really that exciting, but it's Ubuntu so it's automatically awesome!

Last edited:
BobG said:
You are a very weird person. Do you have some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder?

But, you do like XKCD, so I guess you're okay in spite of your desktop.

Lol.

You have a tidy disktop Sam, nice. :)

humanino said:
I created my current desktop after Mandelbrot passed away (on Oct. 14th).
The second thumbnail is a zoom I use for my phone background.
Credit : both were created with ROOT

Fractors are what I call a dizzy tool! @.@

drizzle said:
Fractors are what I call a dizzy tool! @.@

I used to have a background called "Fractal Flame". It looked amazing, but when I got a bigger monitor it stretched and lost its appeal.

Danger said:
That looks like a... a... a Microsoft flag! Doesn't your computer have brains enough to shoot that thing down on sight? (Oh, please don't tell me that you're running a Windows-burner. I couldn't stand the embarrassment of associating with you... :eek:)

What is a "windows-burner"?

jarednjames said:
Thought I'd stick mine in for the hell of it.

This is my desktop PC background. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

:approve:

Ivan, your desktop is going to give someone a seizure. :bugeye:I don't have any icons on my desktop(s) aside from whatever is default. I access all of my files through the appropriate folder in the user directory.

drizzle said:
Can't imagine what background one would have with UFOs. :biggrin:
What I meant is your disktop's background/wall paper.

Oh, you mean the wallpaper! :smile: At first I thought you thought I was an Astronomer or something, but then the UFO stuff came to mind.

It's a bit cluttered with icons, so I really should ditch a few so M-51 isn't obscured.

desktop.jpg

:smile: I love some of these desktops, especially sam_cursed and the ultra-cluttered ones. To provide some counter-force, here's mine.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 493
Will someone raise the conjecture of a correlation between cluttered desktop and operating system ?
:smile:

turbo-1 said:
It's a bit cluttered with icons, so I really should ditch a few so M-51 isn't obscured.

desktop.jpg

Another option would be to arrange the icons in a circle around the galaxy. My desktop is a start on that circle.

jtbell said:
Here's what mine looks like right now. It's about time to clean things up so as not to block the view.

Switzerland?

OK, I stripped out enough of the shortcut icons to see most of M-51. I saved a lot of stuff though, including a trivia contest that I wrote for chat and never used.

cleandesk.jpg

desktop.png

I tend to keep things... organized.

You have a dual monitor setup too I see.

I have as well, however I cut media player out of it. Not sure if a screenshot from X-Men is breaking copyright sticking it here.

I don't understand how one can tolerate a screen with the icons all on one side. I think my head would be stuck in a permanent tilt if I did that.

Balance people, balance! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't understand how one can tolerate a screen with the icons all on one side. I think my head would be stuck in a permanent tilt if I did that.

Balance people, balance! :biggrin:
I am right-eye dominant, and can easily ignore things in the left-hand side of my FOV. Part of the reason why I am really accurate with firearms.

It doesn't matter what I do, how I organize my files; things go out of my hands and I get icons all over my desktop.

10y130i.jpg

Macro picture of a damselfly.

lisab said:
2vblrf8.jpg

But where are the memes?

JaWiB said:
What is a "windows-burner"?

A machine, typically called just a "PC", that doesn't run a useful operating system such as Mac OS or Linux. They are a blight upon the face of civilization.

Danger said:
A machine, typically called just a "PC", that doesn't run a useful operating system such as Mac OS or Linux. They are a blight upon the face of civilization.

...but not my wallet :biggrin:

Here's my desktop background (yes! I do have VIM up for geek cred):

5230201526_036a75dfa6.jpg

I keep all of my icons in the Quick Launch toolbar. It's nice and uncluttered.

I've got a Dell at work, but this is my home desktop.
screen.jpg

The view from the presidential ridge (Near Mt. Eisenhower) down into Bretton Woods and the Mt. Washington Hotel. It's a shame to clutter it with icons, so I keep everything in the various "disks" which are all named after birds. (I started naming 5" floppy disks after birds back in the late 80s... HEY! WAKE UP! THIS IS INTERESTING, DAMMIT!)

desktop.jpg

I try not to have too many icons.