Showing that a set of linear algebra statements are true

In summary: You don't HAVE uniqueness, you want to SHOW uniqueness. If v=w1+w2=w1'+w2' (w1, w1' in W1 and w2, w2' in W2) then w1-w1'=w2'-w2....And then by the definition of direct sum, w1=w1' and w2=w2'. This shows that the decomposition of v into w1 and w2 is unique. This is just for one part of the proof, you still have to show the other implications.And then by the definition of direct sum, w1=w1' and w2=w2'. This shows that the decomposition of v into w1 and w2 is unique. This is
trap101
V is the direct sum of W1 and W2 in symbols:

V = W1 (+) W2 if:

V = W1 + W2 and
W1 [itex]\cap[/itex] W2 = {0}

Show that the following statements are equivalent:

1. V = W1 (+) W2

2. Every vector v[itex]\in[/itex]V can be written uniquely as w1 + w2 where w1[itex]\in[/itex]W1 and w2[itex]\in[/itex]W2

3. V = W1 + W2 and for vectors w1[itex]\in[/itex]W1 and w2[itex]\in[/itex]W2 if w1 +w2 = 0 then w1 = w2

4. If [itex]\alpha[/itex]1 is a basis for W1 and [itex]\alpha[/itex]2 is a basis for W2 then
[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]1 [itex]\cup[/itex] [itex]\alpha[/itex]2

Attempt:

I'm thrown off here because I'm given the definition of a direct sum. So how can I even show that all these statements are equivalent? Would I start by assuming one of the statements is true? For example: Let's say statement 1 is true. that means...well it means exactly what statement 2 is. Maybe take a vector in W1 and one in W2 sum them together and create a vector in V? But then to do that I would have to define an exact vector space...

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
V is the direct sum of W1 and W2 in symbols:

V = W1 (+) W2 if:

V = W1 + W2 and
W1 [itex]\cap[/itex] W2 = {0}

Show that the following statements are equivalent:

1. V = W1 (+) W2

2. Every vector v[itex]\in[/itex]V can be written uniquely as w1 + w2 where w1[itex]\in[/itex]W1 and w2[itex]\in[/itex]W2

3. V = W1 + W2 and for vectors w1[itex]\in[/itex]W1 and w2[itex]\in[/itex]W2 if w1 +w2 = 0 then w1 = w2

4. If [itex]\alpha[/itex]1 is a basis for W1 and [itex]\alpha[/itex]2 is a basis for W2 then
[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]1 [itex]\cup[/itex] [itex]\alpha[/itex]2

Attempt:

I'm thrown off here because I'm given the definition of a direct sum. So how can I even show that all these statements are equivalent? Would I start by assuming one of the statements is true? For example: Let's say statement 1 is true. that means...well it means exactly what statement 2 is. Maybe take a vector in W1 and one in W2 sum them together and create a vector in V? But then to do that I would have to define an exact vector space...

Start by assuming that statement 1 is true. Then show that this implies that statement 2 must be true, which you can do by invoking the definition of a direct sum.

Next show that statement 2 being true implies that statement 3 is true. Then show that statement 3 being true implies that statement 4 is true. Finally, show that statement 4 implies statement 1.

You don't have to define a vector space. You don't mention it, but it seems to me that V is some arbitrary vector space and that W1 and W2 are subspaces of V.

Mark44 said:
Start by assuming that statement 1 is true. Then show that this implies that statement 2 must be true, which you can do by invoking the definition of a direct sum.

Next show that statement 2 being true implies that statement 3 is true. Then show that statement 3 being true implies that statement 4 is true. Finally, show that statement 4 implies statement 1.

You don't have to define a vector space. You don't mention it, but it seems to me that V is some arbitrary vector space and that W1 and W2 are subspaces of V.

But then what is it that I'm really doing beyond repeating the definition of a direct sum? Because it seems that those each just logically follow each other. Yes it is suppose to be an arbitrary vector space.

trap101 said:
But then what is it that I'm really doing beyond repeating the definition of a direct sum? Because it seems that those each just logically follow each other. Yes it is suppose to be an arbitrary vector space.

Yes, they do follow from each other. That's exactly what you are supposed to show. Each statement is different from the definition of direct sum. You have to show why they are equivalent.

Dick said:
Yes, they do follow from each other. That's exactly what you are supposed to show. Each statement is different from the definition of direct sum. You have to show why they are equivalent.

Ok, I'm still puzzled at how I can show it. Because if I didn't have the 4 statements for example. Starting with the definition of a direct sum, I would've just said that the definintion of a direct sum implies that every v[itex]\in[/itex] V can be written uniquely as a combination of w1 and w2. I don't see how I'm "showing" this though.

trap101 said:
Ok, I'm still puzzled at how I can show it. Because if I didn't have the 4 statements for example. Starting with the definition of a direct sum, I would've just said that the definintion of a direct sum implies that every v[itex]\in[/itex] V can be written uniquely as a combination of w1 and w2. I don't see how I'm "showing" this though.

Show HOW the implication works. You start with v=w1+w2=w1'+w2'. What property of the direct sum let's you say w1=w1' and w2=w2'? This isn't a hard proof by any means, but there is something to say.

Dick said:
Show HOW the implication works. You start with v=w1+w2=w1'+w2'. What property of the direct sum let's you say w1=w1' and w2=w2'? This isn't a hard proof by any means, but there is something to say.

Well the only properties I have are that the intersection of the two sets is {0}. Also each vector in the subspace is unique. I suppose by uniqueness:

there exists a unique vector in w1 and w2 s.t v is the combination of them?...Still not seeing it.

trap101 said:
Well the only properties I have are that the intersection of the two sets is {0}. Also each vector in the subspace is unique. I suppose by uniqueness:

there exists a unique vector in w1 and w2 s.t v is the combination of them?...Still not seeing it.

You don't HAVE uniqueness, you want to SHOW uniqueness. If v=w1+w2=w1'+w2' (w1, w1' in W1 and w2, w2' in W2) then w1-w1'=w2'-w2. So?

Dick said:
You don't HAVE uniqueness, you want to SHOW uniqueness. If v=w1+w2=w1'+w2' (w1, w1' in W1 and w2, w2' in W2) then w1-w1'=w2'-w2. So?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 0=0, but I don't think that would make sense considering I'm trying to show uniqueness so I can't assume w1-w1' = 0 and the same for w2. And so my struggle continues with this sort of thing being my impediment from obtaining A's. sigh.

trap101 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say 0=0, but I don't think that would make sense considering I'm trying to show uniqueness so I can't assume w1-w1' = 0 and the same for w2. And so my struggle continues with this sort of thing being my impediment from obtaining A's. sigh.

Which subspace is w1-w1' in? Same question for w2-w2'.

Dick said:
Which subspace is w1-w1' in? Same question for w2-w2'.

w1-w1' is in W1 and w2-w2' is in W2. ==> W1 = W2 but that doesn't do anything.

unless:

v = (w1-w1') + (w2 - w2')

trap101 said:
w1-w1' is in W1 and w2-w2' is in W2. ==> W1 = W2 but that doesn't do anything.

unless:

v = (w1-w1') + (w2 - w2')

So call u=w1-w1'=w2'-w2. From what you have said that must mean u is in W1 and W2. What's the only vector that's both in W1 and W2?

Dick said:
So call u=w1-w1'=w2'-w2. From what you have said that must mean u is in W1 and W2. What's the only vector that's both in W1 and W2?

the only vector in W1 and W2 is the 0 vector. I'm still puzzled as to how this shows statement 2.

trap101 said:
the only vector in W1 and W2 is the 0 vector. I'm still puzzled as to how this shows statement 2.

So u=0. Then w1-w1'=0 and w2'-w2=0. Remember what you want to prove?

Dick said:
So u=0. Then w1-w1'=0 and w2'-w2=0. Remember what you want to prove?

As far as I remember I'm trying to prove statement 2. Then with that I'll prove statement 3, etc. But the fact that u = 0, how is this showing statement 2? I'm trying to go over the steps but I'm failing to see the connection

trap101 said:
As far as I remember I'm trying to prove statement 2. Then with that I'll prove statement 3, etc. But the fact that u = 0, how is this showing statement 2? I'm trying to go over the steps but I'm failing to see the connection

Don't worry about the parts yet. You are trying to show 1)->2). You want to show that if v=w1+w2=w1'+w2', then w1=w1' and w2=w2'. I think you are practically there is if you string all the stuff we've been doing together.

1. How do you show that a set of linear algebra statements are true?

In order to show that a set of linear algebra statements are true, you must use logical reasoning and mathematical proofs. This involves breaking down the statements into smaller, more manageable parts and using the properties and rules of linear algebra to show that each part is true. You must also ensure that your steps are logical and that your conclusions follow from your previous statements.

2. What are some common techniques for proving linear algebra statements?

Some common techniques for proving linear algebra statements include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. In direct proof, you use the properties and rules of linear algebra to show that each statement is true. In proof by contradiction, you assume that the statement is false and then show that this leads to a contradiction. In proof by induction, you use a base case and an inductive hypothesis to show that the statement holds for all cases.

3. How important is it to include examples when proving linear algebra statements?

Including examples when proving linear algebra statements can be helpful in illustrating the concepts and making the proof more concrete. However, examples alone are not enough to prove a statement - you must also use logical reasoning and mathematical proofs to support your argument. Additionally, it's important to note that a statement may hold true for some examples but not for all cases, so it's important to provide a rigorous proof.

4. Is it possible to prove a linear algebra statement without using mathematical notation?

While mathematical notation is commonly used in proofs of linear algebra statements, it is possible to prove a statement without using it. However, this may make the proof more difficult to follow and it's important to ensure that your reasoning is clear and your arguments are sound. It's also helpful to include visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to make the proof more understandable.

5. How can you check if a proof of a linear algebra statement is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a proof of a linear algebra statement is to go through each step and make sure that it follows logically from the previous statements and that the conclusion is supported by the evidence. It's also helpful to have someone else review the proof and provide feedback. Additionally, you can check your proof by using counterexamples or by using a computer program to verify the statement.