1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign convention of shear force and bending moment

1. Jul 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://nptel.ac.in/courses/112107146/22

in the notes, the author define upward shear force as positive (LHS) , he take downward shear force as positive as positive (RHS)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    why the author didnt fix downward shear force as positive , upward shear force as negative or vice versa

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2016 #2
    If I had a beam, and applied a force acting upwards on the left, it would rotate clockwise.

If I was to instead apply a force acting downwards, but on the right, the beam would still rotate clockwise.

Sum of the clockwise moments = sum of the anti-clockwise moments. It is not about whether the force is acting up or down but whether the result of that force would cause it to rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise. :smile:

4. Jul 7, 2016 #3
    move on to the lower part of note, i found that the author take the clockwise moment at LHS as positive while at RHS , the author take anticlockwise moment as positive,why is it so???
    why the author take different direction of moment as same sign??

5. Jul 7, 2016 #4
    why the author take clockwise moment as positive at LHS, take anticlockwise moment as positive at RHS???

6. Jul 7, 2016 #5
    So, the moment clockwise considered as positive in this case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted