Fourier Series vs Fourier Transforms: What's the Difference?

In summary, Fourier series and Fourier transforms are two mathematical tools used to analyze signals and functions. Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while Fourier transforms can be applied to non-periodic functions. Both allow for perfect reconstruction of the original function, but approximations may occur when dealing with infinite series or transforms that extend to infinity. Some recommended books for learning about digital electronics and related topics include "Digital Design" and "Verilog HDL" by Michael D. Ciletti.
Rsw
what is the difference between Fourier series and Fourier transforms ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fourier series is an approximation of periodic functions, but Fourier transform is applied to the functions which isn't periodic(period = infinite).

Last edited:
Fourier transform(FT) is the generalization of Fourier series. In FT you get frequency spectrum of a function f (if FT exists for f) and instead of spectrum you get discrete frequencies if f is periodic.

Note: Both FT and Fourier series are approximations of f

I'd like to clarify that FT and FS are not approximations. Both are mathematical transforms that allow perfect reconstruction of the original function. For example, what is the Fourier Series of cos(x)? Hmmm, seems exact to me.

Where the approximations come in is when you have an infinite series or a transform that extends to infinity. Then, you may decide to truncate the series or band-limit the transform, when using them to reconstruct the original function. Even if they are not infinite, you could still truncate/band-limit. Hence, you could say that a truncated FS or a band limited FT are approximations.

thanks 4 give me such replies...

can u tell me about some good books for "digital electronics"??
where i can clear my concept of "encoder,decoder and sequential circuits" and verilog of it also.

encoder, decoder and sequential circuit are very basic stuffs in logic design and any digital design books have this topic.
I have this book(older edition) and it's pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131863894/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Although I have 2 verilog books, neither is good and I wouldn't recommend them.
Just search in amazon and find the one with good ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Fourier Series and how is it different from a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to analyze and approximate the behavior of a periodic signal. On the other hand, a Fourier Transform is used to analyze a non-periodic signal and decompose it into its constituent frequencies. Unlike a Fourier Series, a Fourier Transform does not assume periodicity in the signal.

2. What is the mathematical equation for a Fourier Series and Fourier Transform?

The mathematical equation for a Fourier Series is Fourier Series Equationwhere and are coefficients that represent the amplitudes of the cosine and sine functions, respectively. The mathematical equation for a Fourier Transform is Fourier Transform Equationwhere represents the frequency.

3. What types of signals can be analyzed using a Fourier Series and Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Series is used to analyze periodic signals, which are signals that repeat themselves after a certain interval of time. On the other hand, a Fourier Transform is used to analyze non-periodic signals, which do not repeat themselves.

4. What are the applications of Fourier Series and Fourier Transform in science?

Fourier Series and Fourier Transform have various applications in science, including signal processing, image and sound analysis, data compression, and solving differential equations. They are also widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. Can a Fourier Series be used for non-periodic signals and vice versa?

No, a Fourier Series is only applicable to periodic signals and a Fourier Transform is only applicable to non-periodic signals. However, a Fourier Transform can be used to analyze a periodic signal by assuming it is a non-periodic signal with a very long period.