Signals and Systems coursework help:

In summary: It makes you stronger and better equipped for the future. I know that I would not be where I am today if I had given up when things got tough. Keep up the good work and you will get through this!In summary, Bob struggled in his Signals and Systems class last semester and feels like he is turning a corner. He is currently in his second half of his junior year of engineering and is tired of struggling. He is encouraged by the fact that he is in control of his own learning and that he will get through difficult times if he keeps at it.
Kbob08
This is kind of a homework topic, but not. Long story short, my beginning of my college career has been horrible in the academic standpoint. Bad calculus classes, a change of major, and 2 1/2 years later I sit staring at my signals book with no clue how to approach any of the problems. College texts don't do a thing for since I am a visual learner and I must see how everything is done before I can even think of attempting a problem.

If anyone was kind enough to look over a bit of these problems and the work I have done, that would be great. I am speaking to the professor tomorrow as to how I can get assistance with this course. It's not like I'm not an intelligent person, it's that my way of learning seems like it diffurs so much from that of my professors.

I'm going to insert a link shortly to the homework forum where I will post the problems. If anyone has some recommendations on how I could "catch up" or at least approach these problems differently or how you did or are doing it, that would be great.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1213574#post1213574

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Bob. Hopefully you are starting to get some useful help in the Homework forum section, and hopefully your meeting with your prof tomorrow will bear fruit. I don't know if there is something analogous to the Orton-Gillingham teaching method for college-level techincal classes, but maybe there is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orton-Gillingham

Best of luck, and hang in there.

Oh man... I just took Signals and Systems last semester. The teacher was born and raised in Korea... Got his Ph.D. there. Tough going in that class, I passed it, but it was rough. I'm in my second half of my junior year of EE... I've struggled to this point, but I feel I've reached a "turning point". It's been a rough road, and I'm tired of eeking by, I've played the game where I tell myself that the teacher isn't good... or I just don't learn that way, but the sooner you accept that you are in control of your own learning, and you have to take the steps (like seeing your professor, good on you for that!) to pass, the better you'll be! So much of college, at least for me, is just being able to stomach all of the crappy times (staying in all weekend studying/working on homework/working on projects) while all of your friends are out doing fun stuff. You just have to deal with it :)

DocRay said:
I've played the game where I tell myself that the teacher isn't good... or I just don't learn that way, but the sooner you accept that you are in control of your own learning, and you have to take the steps (like seeing your professor, good on you for that!) to pass, the better you'll be! So much of college, at least for me, is just being able to stomach all of the crappy times (staying in all weekend studying/working on homework/working on projects) while all of your friends are out doing fun stuff. You just have to deal with it :)

Your absolutely right about taking your education into your own hands. At the end of the day, you benefit the most from putting up and going through with the hard times.

1. What is the purpose of studying Signals and Systems coursework?

The purpose of studying Signals and Systems coursework is to understand the fundamental concepts and principles of analyzing and processing signals in various systems. This knowledge is essential for many fields, including engineering, physics, and computer science, as signals and systems are present in almost every aspect of our daily lives.

2. What are some key topics covered in Signals and Systems coursework?

Some key topics covered in Signals and Systems coursework include time and frequency domain representations of signals, Fourier analysis, convolution, filters, and feedback systems. Students will also learn about different types of signals, such as continuous-time and discrete-time signals, and their properties.

3. What are the benefits of studying Signals and Systems?

Studying Signals and Systems can provide many benefits, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, understanding complex systems and their behavior, and being able to analyze and design systems for various applications. It also lays the foundation for more advanced topics in signal processing, communication systems, and control systems.

4. What are some common challenges students face in Signals and Systems coursework?

Some common challenges students face in Signals and Systems coursework include understanding abstract concepts, applying mathematical techniques, and grasping the relationship between theory and real-world applications. It is also a challenging subject for those who do not have a strong background in mathematics.

5. How can I succeed in Signals and Systems coursework?

To succeed in Signals and Systems coursework, it is essential to attend lectures and actively participate in class discussions. Practice problems and assignments regularly to solidify your understanding of the concepts. Seek help from your professor or teaching assistant if you are struggling with any topic. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and review material together.