1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silver-Cadmium Electrochemical Cell

1. Dec 17, 2009 #1
    You are given the following materials:
     Silver wire
     A 0.10 mol L-1 solution of cadmium nitrate
     Cadmium wire
     A 0.10 mol L-1 solution of silver nitrate
     A salt bridge
     Copper wire
     Beakers and other glassware as required
    Draw a labelled sketch of your cell. Describe how the electrochemical cell will function. Include equations for the reactions and what you would expect to see happen.

I know that if I ignore the copper wire, I can put the AgNO3 and the Ag wire into one beaker, and the Cd(NO3)2 and Cd wire into another beaker. I can connect the two using the salt bridge. The electrons will flow from the Cd to the Ag. The Cd will be oxidised (Cd >><< Cd2+ + 2e-), and the Ag will be reduced (2AG+ + 2e- >><< 2Ag). The net ionic equation is: 2Ag+(aq) + Cd(s) >><< Cd2+(aq) + 2Ag(s).

My question is what does the copper wire do? Is it to make the current reversible? Or for plating?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2009 #2
    Silly me, the copper wire connects the two electrodes providing a path for the electrons to travel through!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook