Calculate 73.936 with Absolute Uncertainty

In summary, to find the absolute uncertainty for a calculation involving both addition and division, you would first calculate the uncertainty for the addition part and then use that value for the division part. This means using the absolute uncertainty for the division calculation rather than the relative uncertainty.
yang09

Homework Statement

Perform the calculation and report answer in proper scientific notation with absolute uncertainty

73.936(+ 0.19%) / [(0.00455+ 0.00096) + (0.011889(+0.73%))]

Homework Equations

Addition/Subtraction:
Absolute uncertainty = square root(uncertainty1 + uncertainty2)
Relative uncertainty = Absolute uncertainty divided by answer to addition(or subtraction)

Multiplication/Division:
Relative uncertainty = (uncertainty divided by corresponding value)2

The Attempt at a Solution

How would I do the absolute uncertainty since there is both subtraction and division?

Physics news on Phys.org

Do the addition first and determine the uncertainty for the part solution. Then, using that uncertainty, divide and use the proper rule to determine the uncertainty in the result.

But after I find the uncertainty for the addition,it is going to be the absolute uncertainty.Would I use the absolute uncertainty when calculating the division part? Or would I have to calculate the relative uncertainty for the addition part and use that for the division part? The thing that is confusing me is which uncertainty to use for the division part, the relative or absolute uncertainty from the addition part.
Would I use the absolute uncertainty because when finding the uncertainty through division, the absolute uncertainty calculation always comes first before the relative uncertainty
Thanks

What is the formula for calculating absolute uncertainty?

The formula for calculating absolute uncertainty is the difference between the measured value and the accepted value. It is represented by the symbol ∆x.

How do you calculate the absolute uncertainty of a number?

To calculate the absolute uncertainty of a number, you need to subtract the measured value from the accepted value. The result will be the absolute uncertainty.

What is the significance of absolute uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Absolute uncertainty is important in scientific measurements because it helps to determine the reliability and accuracy of the data. It also allows scientists to compare results and identify any potential errors in their measurements.

Can absolute uncertainty ever be negative?

No, absolute uncertainty cannot be negative. It is always a positive value because it represents the difference between the measured value and the accepted value.

How can absolute uncertainty be used in conjunction with significant figures?

Absolute uncertainty can be used to determine the number of significant figures in a measurement. The number of significant figures should be equal to the number of digits in the measurement, including the last digit, which represents the absolute uncertainty.