• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple calculations with using proper scientific notation and absolute uncertainty

• Thread starter yang09
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Perform the calculation and report answer in proper scientific notation with absolute uncertainty

73.936(+ 0.19%) / [(0.00455+ 0.00096) + (0.011889(+0.73%))]

Homework Equations

Addition/Subtraction:
Absolute uncertainty = square root(uncertainty1 + uncertainty2)
Relative uncertainty = Absolute uncertainty divided by answer to addition(or subtraction)

Multiplication/Division:
Relative uncertainty = (uncertainty divided by corresponding value)2

The Attempt at a Solution

How would I do the absolute uncertainty since there is both subtraction and division?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Do the addition first and determine the uncertainty for the part solution. Then, using that uncertainty, divide and use the proper rule to determine the uncertainty in the result.

But after I find the uncertainty for the addition,it is going to be the absolute uncertainty.Would I use the absolute uncertainty when calculating the division part? Or would I have to calculate the relative uncertainty for the addition part and use that for the division part? The thing that is confusing me is which uncertainty to use for the division part, the relative or absolute uncertainty from the addition part.
Would I use the absolute uncertainty because when finding the uncertainty through division, the absolute uncertainty calculation always comes first before the relative uncertainty
Thanks