Simple circuit problem - Intensity and Difference of electric potential

In summary, the current between A-B and C-D is not equal due to the different resistances, and the potential difference between B-C and A-D is also not equal due to the different voltages. Ohm's Law states that the current is proportional to the voltage divided by the resistance, and this applies to the entire circuit, not just individual components.
Jalo

Homework Statement

w03wh4.png

a) Is the current between the points A-B and C-D equal? Why?
b) Is the difference of potential between the points B-C and A-D equal? Why?

Also, a question of my own..
If I = V/R, then when we measure the intensity between A and B shouldn't it be infinite, or at least very great since we're dealing with good conductors, since there's little or no resistance there? Or does Ohm's law refers to the total resistance of the circuit?

Homework Equations

Ohm's law:

I = V/R

I -Intensity
V - Voltage
R - Resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

a) If I remember correctly the intensity of current is always constant, as long as we're dealing with a serial circuit. I don't know how to explain how tho...

b) Given Ohm's law, if I is a constant through out the circuit and R will vary depending on where you measure the voltage, then the voltage won't be constant. It will be greater at point B-C, since is is proportional to the resistance.

Thanks in advance.
Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) No, the current between the points A-B and C-D is not equal. This is because the current in a circuit follows Ohm's Law, which states that the current is proportional to the voltage divided by the resistance. Therefore, if the resistance between A-B and C-D is different, then the current will also be different. b) No, the difference of potential between the points B-C and A-D is not equal. This is because the potential difference is determined by the voltage across a given component or circuit. Since the resistances between B-C and A-D are different, the voltage across each component will also be different, resulting in a different potential difference between the two points. If I = V/R, then when we measure the intensity between A and B it will not be infinite or very great. This is because the resistance between A and B is not zero - it still has some resistance, which will result in a finite current. Ohm's law refers to the resistance of the entire circuit, not just the resistance between two points.

1. What is the difference between electric potential and intensity in a simple circuit?

The electric potential in a simple circuit refers to the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the circuit. It is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in the circuit. Intensity, on the other hand, refers to the rate at which energy is transferred or the rate at which work is done in the circuit. It is measured in watts and is dependent on both the electric potential and the current in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the electric potential difference in a simple circuit?

The electric potential difference (or voltage) in a simple circuit can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R): V = I x R. Another way to calculate voltage is by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in the same loop.

3. What factors affect the intensity of an electric circuit?

The intensity of an electric circuit is affected by several factors including the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. The higher the voltage or current, the higher the intensity will be. On the other hand, a higher resistance will result in a lower intensity. The type of material the circuit is made of can also affect intensity, as materials with higher conductivity will have a higher intensity.

4. How does the intensity of a simple circuit affect the brightness of a light bulb?

The intensity of a simple circuit directly affects the brightness of a light bulb. The higher the intensity, the brighter the light bulb will be. This is because the intensity is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred, and the brighter the light, the more energy is being transferred to produce that brightness.

5. What is the relationship between electric potential and intensity in a simple circuit?

The relationship between electric potential and intensity in a simple circuit is that they are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the electric potential increases, the intensity will also increase. This relationship is governed by Ohm's Law, where the intensity (I) is equal to the electric potential (V) divided by the resistance (R): I = V/R. This also means that if the resistance is kept constant, an increase in electric potential will result in an increase in intensity.