How can the arc length of a cycloid be calculated using parametric equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses integration of \sec^2 z along any path from \frac{\pi}{4} to \frac{\pi\iota}{4}, using the substitution z(t) = t + (\frac{\pi}{4} -t)\iota. The resulting integral is \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \sec^2(t+(\frac{\pi}{4}-t)\iota)(1 - \iota ) dt. The conversation also mentions the cycloid parametric equations and solving for the arc length using integration.
John O' Meara
Integrate [tex] \int_C \sec^2 z dz \ \mbox{any path from } \ \frac{\pi}{4} \mbox{ to } \frac{\pi\iota}{4} \\ \sec^2 z = \frac{1}{\cos^2 z} \ \mbox{ which is equal to } \ \frac{1}{2(1+\cos 2z)} \\[/tex] Therefore [tex] \frac{2}{1+\cos 2z} = \frac{2}{1 + \cos2x\cosh2y -\iota \sin2x\sinh2y}\\[/tex]
How do you split this fraction up to differentiate it w.r.t., [tex] u_x \mbox{,} v_y \\[/tex] i.e., the Cauchy - Riemann equations? It seems to me that [tex] sec^2 z [/tex] is not analytic.
Therefore integrate as follows:[tex] z(t) = t + (\frac{\pi}{4} -t)\iota \ \frac{dz}{dt} = 1 - \iota \\[/tex] Therefore the integral is [tex] \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \sec^2(t+(\frac{\pi}{4}-t)\iota)(1 - \iota ) dt\\[/tex]. Am I correct so far? Is z substituted in [tex] \sec^2z \ [/tex] done correctly. Thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
If f(z) is analytic, then f(z)^2 is analytic and 1/f(z) is analytic (away from poles). Since cos(z) is analytic, there is no point in checking CR for sec(z)^2. They will be satisfied.

Cycloid question

The parametric equations of a cycloid are [tex] x=a(\theta - \sin\theta) \mbox{ and } y=a(1-\cos\theta) \\ [/tex] where a is a constant. Show that S^2=8ay, where s is the arc length measured from the point theta = 0.

[tex] \frac{dx}{d\theta} = a(1 - \cos\theta) \ \frac{dy}{d\theta} = a\sin\theta \\ [/tex]. Then [tex] \int \sqrt{a^2(1-\cos\theta)^2 + a^2\sin^2 \theta} d\theta \\[/tex]. Now this gives [tex] \int \sqrt{2}a\sqrt{1 - \cos\theta} d\theta\\[/tex]. I could do with a hint as to, how to solve this integral. Can I simply say [tex] s^2=2a^2 \int (1 - \cos\theta)d\theta \\[/tex]. I certainly think not. Thanks for helping.

1. What is simple complex integration?

Simple complex integration refers to the process of integrating a complex-valued function over a simple path in the complex plane. This involves evaluating the function at each point along the path and taking the limit as the path becomes infinitely small.

2. What is the difference between simple and complex integration?

The main difference between simple and complex integration is the type of function being integrated. Simple integration deals with real-valued functions over a real interval, while complex integration deals with complex-valued functions over a complex path.

3. What are some applications of simple complex integration?

Simple complex integration has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing.

4. How is simple complex integration performed?

Simple complex integration is typically performed using techniques such as the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, or contour integration. These methods involve breaking down the complex path into simpler segments and evaluating the function along each segment.

5. What are some challenges of simple complex integration?

One of the main challenges of simple complex integration is finding a suitable path for integration. In some cases, it may be difficult to find a closed path that encloses the desired region of integration. Additionally, the use of complex numbers can make the calculations more complex and prone to errors.