Simple conceptual question about Ohm's law

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of potential difference and its relation to current in a circuit. It is explained that the potential difference is not dependent on the amount of charge passing through, but rather the relative potential energies of the charges at different points in the circuit. This can be likened to a river flowing downhill, where the height of the water represents the voltage and the amount of water flowing represents the current. The concept of electric fields and energy transfer in Ohmic materials is also mentioned.
engineeringstudnt
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
V=IR I=Q/t
IMG20211201185512.jpg

Hİ :) as you know potential difference in point A to B is equal to the battery's voltage and point A's current is equal to point B's current.So current is I=Q/t , there should be equal charge passing through at same time so how could there be potential difference when there is equal amount of electron on each side ?

Physics news on Phys.org
engineeringstudnt said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: V=IR I=Q/t

View attachment 293404
Hİ :) as you know potential difference in point A to B is equal to the battery's voltage and point A's current is equal to point B's current.So current is I=Q/t , there should be equal charge passing through at same time so how could there be potential difference when there is equal amount of electron on each side ?
Are you asking how a battery works?

PeroK said:
Are you asking how a battery works?
no i know how battery's works :) . Terminals create potential difference so that charge flows on wire. my question is: point A and point B has same amount of electrons in time=t let's say(because the current is same).But why there is a potential difference in theese points :)

engineeringstudnt said:
But why there is a potential difference in theese points :)
I thought that was because of the battery! Take the battery away and you have a neutral wire.

PeroK said:
I thought that was because of the battery! Take the battery away and you have a neutral wire.
lets say we stopped to time for a while. in point A we should saw x electrons and point B we again saw x electrons(because the current are same I=Q/T) . x-x=0 but there should be a potentail difference right ? that is point what i don't understand

engineeringstudnt said:
lets say we stopped to time for a while. in point A we should saw x electrons and point B we again saw x electrons(because the current are same I=Q/T) . x-x=0 but there should be a potentail difference right ? that is point what i don't understand
The battery creates an electric field, which produces the current.

engineeringstudnt said:
The voltage across the resistor isn't related to the relative amounts of charge passing through either terminal of the resistor (which, as you note, are the same), but rather the relative potential energies (per unit charge) of the charges at either terminal of the resistor.

Likes engineeringstudnt and PeroK
ergospherical said:
The voltage across the resistor isn't related to the relative amounts of charge passing through either terminal of the resistor (which, as you note, are the same), but rather the relative potential energies (per unit charge) of the charges at either terminal of the resistor.
thanks for you answer but honestly i still didnt quite get it i guess i should read more :)

engineeringstudnt said:
thanks for you answer but honestly i still didnt quite get it i guess i should read more :)
Did you know that Werner Heisenberg nearly failed his PhD examination because he didn't know how a battery works?

I suspect that this, therefore, is probably not true:

engineeringstudnt said:
no i know how battery's works :) .

Likes berkeman
engineeringstudnt said:
In an Ohmic material of length ##d## and resistance ##R##, there is an electric field given by ##E = IR/d## (this comes from a more fundamental relationship ##j = \sigma E##). As the charges flow through the resistor, the electric field does an amount ##Ed = IR## of work on them. Equivalently, it can be said that the electric potential energy (per unit charge) of the charges decreases by ##IR##. This energy is ultimately transferred to the ions in the metal, becoming heat.

Likes engineeringstudnt
engineeringstudnt said:
Think of a river flowing downhill. Look at a higher point and at a lower point on the river. There is the same amount of water flowing at both points, but the water has a higher potential energy at the higher point than at the lower point. The amount of water flowing is analogous to the current, and the height of the water is analogous to the voltage.

Likes solidarityincrimson and engineeringstudnt
phyzguy said:
Think of a river flowing downhill. Look at a higher point and at a lower point on the river. There is the same amount of water flowing at both points, but the water has a higher potential energy at the higher point than at the lower point. The amount of water flowing is analogous to the current, and the height of the water is analogous to the voltage.
thanks for the analogy that's actually really helped.but one question if electrons loses of some of their energy when they passed the resistance don't they lose their speed too ? so if its the case current shouldn't be same at the point A and B but they are :d.?

Likes solidarityincrimson
engineeringstudnt said:
thanks for the analogy that's actually really helped.but one question if electrons loses of some of their energy when they passed the resistance don't they lose their speed too ? so if its the case current shouldn't be same at the point A and B but they are :d.?
They lose potential energy when the electric field does work on them, but it's assumed that their drift velocity (and therefore also their averaged kinetic energy) is constant. You can imagine that the "excess" kinetic energy gained due to work done by the electric field is immediately transferred away to the ions in the material.

Likes solidarityincrimson and engineeringstudnt
ergospherical said:
They lose potential energy when the electric field does work on them, but it's assumed that their drift velocity (and therefore also their averaged kinetic energy) is constant. You can imagine that the "excess" kinetic energy gained due to work done by the electric field is immediately transferred away to the ions in the material.
i really appreciate that thank you very much i get it now :)

Likes berkeman and ergospherical
engineeringstudnt said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: V=IR I=Q/t

So current is I=Q/t
So just to follow up to clear up your notation going forward...

The current is the amount of charge flowing through a cross-section of the wire divided by the time it took for it to flow through that surface. In delta notation is would be I = ΔQ/Δt. In differential notation (like from differential Calculus) and using LaTeX (see the LaTeX Guide at the bottom of the Edit window):
$$ I(t) = \frac{dQ(t)}{dt}$$

engineeringstudnt said:
i really appreciate that thank you very much i get it now :)
Just to be sure, if you are not solid on what "drift velocity" is you should look it up.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. How is Ohm's law used in practical applications?

Ohm's law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing and analyzing electrical circuits, calculating the power consumption of electronic devices, and troubleshooting electrical problems. It is also used in fields like electrical engineering, telecommunications, and electronics.

3. What are the units of measurement for voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amperes (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). These units are named after the scientists who contributed to the development of Ohm's law: Georg Ohm, André-Marie Ampère, and Georg Ohm.

4. Can Ohm's law be applied to all types of circuits?

Ohm's law is applicable to most types of circuits, including direct current (DC) circuits, alternating current (AC) circuits, and even complex circuits with multiple components. However, it may not be accurate for circuits with non-linear components like diodes and transistors.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of Ohm's law?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, so the current remains the same throughout and the voltage is divided among the components. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths, so the voltage remains the same across each component and the current is divided among them. Ohm's law can be used to calculate the total resistance in a series circuit and the equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit.