Simple electron orbit question

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of an electron on a circular orbit around a proton and its potential decay into the nucleus due to radiation according to the Larmor relation. There is a question of whether to treat the acceleration as constant or vary it with distance from the nucleus. Doc Al suggests finding the average acceleration by integrating from 0 to r and dividing by r, and expressing E as a function of radius to find the time needed for the electron to crash into the nucleus. Through further discussion, it is determined that the electron's position and energy are both functions of time, and by using the Bohr model, the expression for time is found to be t = (A*r^3)/(3*C*B^2), where A,
WolfOfTheSteps

Homework Statement

Since an electron on a circular orbit around a proton has a centripetal acceleration, it should radiate energy according to the Larmor relation

[tex] \frac{dE}{dt} = -2/3(q^2/4\pi\epsilon_o)(a^2/c^3) [/tex]

where [itex]q, a, \epsilon_o[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] are respectively the electron charge, its acceleration, the vacuum permittivity and the velocity of light in a vacuum. Therefore, in classical, mechanics, it should spiral and crash on the nucleus. How long would this decay take, supposing that the size of the initial orbit is 10[itex]^{-10}[/itex]m and the nucleus is a point charge (radius=0)?

Homework Equations

[tex] a = \frac{F_{coulombic}}{m} = \frac{v^2}{r_n} = \frac{1}{m} \frac{q^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_o r^2_n} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily do this if I calculate the centripital acceleration, [itex]a[/itex], out at 10[itex]^{-10}[/itex]m, and treat it as constant in the Larmor relation.

My question is, do you think this is what the problem wants me to do? Or do you think I have to set up an integral somewhere to vary the acceleration with the distance from the nucleus?

I tried getting a function [itex]a(r)[/itex] by integrating [itex]a[/itex] with respect to [itex]r[/itex] from [itex]r=0[/itex] to [itex]r=10^{-10}[/itex]m, but then I realized that the integral would be infinite, since [itex]r[/itex] is in the denominator. Which makes me think they want me to treat [itex]a[/itex] as a constant.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
My last paragraph was really stupid. a is already a function of r. I did try to find the average acceleration by integrating from 0 to r and dividing by r. But of course the integral is infinite, and that's the problem.

Try this: First express E as a function of radius. Then take the derivative with respect to time and set it equal to the Larmor formula; integrate to find time.

Awesome! That definitely makes sense, and I wish I would have thought of it!

Thanks, Doc Al.

Doc Al said:
Try this: First express E as a function of radius. Then take the derivative with respect to time and set it equal to the Larmor formula; integrate to find time.

Doc Al,

But if you have E as a function of radius, and you differentiate with respect to time, you get 0, since there is no t in that function. Is this what you intended?

Wolf of the Ste said:
Doc Al,

But if you have E as a function of radius, and you differentiate with respect to time, you get 0, since there is no t in that function. Is this what you intended?

Your speed "v" is an implicit function of time, and r is a function of time as well.

Perhaps it would be helpful to note that;

[tex]v = \frac{ds}{dt} = 2\pi\cdot\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

Edit: Dammit patrick

Is this the idea?

[tex]

\textnormal{Let A, B, and C be the product of the constants in the functions E, a, and dE/dt respectively. Then,} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
E = \frac{-A}{r} \ \textnormal{(1)}\\
[/tex]

[tex]
a = \frac{B}{r^2} \ \textnormal{(2)}\\
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{dE}{dt} = C a^2 = \frac{C B^2}{r^4}\ \textnormal{(3)} \ \textnormal{(Lamar Relation)} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\textnormal{Then, using (1)}, \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{A}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt} \textnormal{(4)} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\textnormal{Setting (3) and (4) equal, we get:} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{A}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{C B^2}{r^4} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
A r^2 dr = C B^2 dt \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\int{A r^2}dr = \int{C B^2}dt \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{A}{3} r^3 = C B^2 t \\
[/tex]

[tex]
t = \frac{A r^3}{3C B^2} \\
[/tex]So is this a valid expression for time t needed for the electron to crash into the point nucleus, given an initial distance, r, from the point nucleus??

Thanks.

Last edited:
Wolf of the Ste said:
Doc Al,

Since the electron is crashing into the nucleus, r must be a function of time and thus E is a function of time (as noted by nrqed and Hoot). If
[tex]E = E(r)[/tex]

Then
[tex]dE/dt = E'(r) dr/dt[/tex]

Start by finding E(r) explicitly, where E is the total energy. (Use the Bohr model.)

Wolf of the Ste said:
Is this the idea?

Exactly!

Thanks again. I'm finished, at last! :)

What is an electron orbit?

An electron orbit is the path that an electron takes around the nucleus of an atom. It is the basis of the Bohr model of the atom.

What determines the size of an electron orbit?

The size of an electron orbit is determined by the energy level of the electron. The higher the energy level, the larger the orbit will be.

Why do electrons not collide with the nucleus in their orbit?

Electrons are kept in their orbit by the electromagnetic force between the negatively charged electron and the positively charged nucleus. This force is balanced by the centrifugal force of the electron's motion.

Can an electron change its orbit?

Yes, an electron can change its orbit by gaining or losing energy. This can happen through various processes such as absorption or emission of photons.

How does the number of electrons in an atom affect its electron orbit?

The number of electrons in an atom affects its electron orbit by determining the energy levels available for the electrons to occupy. The more electrons an atom has, the more energy levels it will have and the larger its electron orbit will be.