Simple Harmonic Motion and Springs

In summary, the period of the oscillatory motion of an object hung from a vertical spring and released from rest with the spring unstressed can be calculated using the formula T = 2π/ω, where ω = √(m/k), and m/k can be determined using either the equilibrium displacement equation y = mg/k or conservation of mechanical energy. Both methods will give the same answer.
MRMooneyham
An object of mass m is supended from a vertical spring of force constant 1269 N/m. When the object is pulled down 0.068 m from equilibrium and released from rest, the object oscillates at 10 Hz. The mass of the object is ____ kg.

τ= 2∏*sqrt(M/K)
M = mass
K = spring constant
1/f = τ

The Attempt at a Solution

1/10 = .1
.1/2∏ = .15708
.157082 = M/K
.024674*K = M
.024674*1269 = 31.3113

and I keep getting told i have the wrong answer...help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the energy in a spring is 1/2Kx^2. This then relates to the kinetic energy, as at the top the potential energy in the spring is all converted into gravitational potential energy. Now I think, i could be wrong on this, that the amplitude above the equilibrium point is the same as the amplitude below, ie how far below the spring is initially below the equilibrium point.

You can set these two equal to each other, and use h in mgh as 2x. Rearrange and you can calculate the force. This, if its correct gives an answer of 4.39kg

umm i understand what your trying to say, but 4.39kg is wrong aswell

Better way, your way works, mine is more complicated, though since T=2*pi*Sqrt(m/K) 0.01*1269/(4*pi^2) which gives 0.321441kg

you have made some calculator errors.
0.1/2pi = 0.0159 not 0.157
You have calculated (0.1/2) x pi

ahh i see, I have a ti-89 calculator, and i did my grouping wrong so it was doing things a little out of what i wanted it to lol, bad grouping on my part, but thanks a whole bunch!

An object is hung on the end of a vertical spring and is released from rest with the spring unstressed. If the object falls 0.17 m before coming to rest, the period of the resulting oscillatory motion will be _____ s.

im am uttlerly lost on this...

Are you given anything else? Like the mass?

Not convinced by this, but try it neverthe less. At equilibrium F=kx =mg, for it to be in equilibrium, by that meaning, m/k = x/g. so putting that into the period equation. T=2pi*sqrt(m/k) is the same as T=2pi*sqrt(x/g) which is 0.827 seconds.

nope...
but I've been looking around and i think the equation yo = mg/k
the one to find the difference in the equilibrium points of when there is no mass and when there is a mass.
but i don't know if my algebra is bad but i rearrange and get y*g = k/m which is ω
but i also have seen some do g/y = k/m
but i think it could also be y*g = m/k
and with the right algebraic rearrangement you could use T = 2∏/ω

Well its g/y=k/m which is the same thing as i said, as I am taking x to be y, as there is no other info supplied. By the fact that omega is 2pif, then by the t equation you used in the first part, omega squared =m/k, from that you can get the time period.

tried your solution, still saying incorrect answer

odd, using what you said to work it out, i got T=.108994, so something is wrong if we got different answers doing the same thing...

nvm i forgot to sqrt the g/y, i did get the same value as you

MRMooneyham said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1/10 = .1
.1/2∏ = .15708
Do this over. You're off by a factor of 10. (And don't round off pi when doing the arithmetic.)

Edit: Oops... I see that truesearch already pointed this out in post #5. And I see that you are piling several problems into the same thread.

Last edited:
Good :) glad that it helped

MRMooneyham said:
An object is hung on the end of a vertical spring and is released from rest with the spring unstressed. If the object falls 0.17 m before coming to rest, the period of the resulting oscillatory motion will be _____ s.

im am uttlerly lost on this...
As the mass falls, what's conserved?

You can also use the equilibrium position to determine the ratio m/k, but where is that point?

the potential energy of the spring?

MRMooneyham said:
the potential energy of the spring?
The potential energy by itself is not conserved--it changes as the mass drops. But what is conserved?

if your referring to what does not change...g,m,k,T,f

MRMooneyham said:
if your referring to what does not change...g,m,k,T,f
Stick to energy. What other forms of energy are involved as the mass falls?

the total mechanical energy

MRMooneyham said:
the total mechanical energy
Right! So compare the total mechanical energy at the top and bottom of the motion.

how? to do that i need to know k, or omega, or something that I am not given

MRMooneyham said:
how? to do that i need to know k, or omega, or something that I am not given
In order to calculate the period, what do you need? (Look at the formula.) That's what you're going to solve for.

i could get the period from either 1/f or 2pi/omega...

MRMooneyham said:
i could get the period from either 1/f or 2pi/omega...
Well, yeah. But I meant the other formula. (From post #1.)

T=2pi/sqrt(m/k) ?

MRMooneyham said:
T=2pi/sqrt(m/k) ?
Yes, that's the one. If you knew m/k, then you can calculate the period. Use energy conservation to figure out m/k.

thats what I've been trying to do, but I am not sure what way to find m/k
one way is to use the equilibrium displacement equation, y = mg/k, but i didnt get the right answer from there

MRMooneyham said:
one way is to use the equilibrium displacement equation, y = mg/k, but i didnt get the right answer from there
That's certainly one way to solve for m/k. But what would you use for y? Where is the equilibrium position.

Conservation of mechanical energy is another way to solve for m/k. Both methods give the same answer, of course.

i don't I am confusing myself, i will try mechanical energy.

but wait, for mechanical energy equations wouldn't i need m, v, or k...so I am utterly confused, can i ask you a favor of working the problem out so i can see what you mean?

MRMooneyham said:
but wait, for mechanical energy equations wouldn't i need m, v, or k...so I am utterly confused, can i ask you a favor of working the problem out so i can see what you mean?
Mechanical energy will involve m, v, and k. But that's good since that's what we're trying to find. (Remember that we want m/k so we can find the period.)

Set up an energy equation:
Energy(at top of motion) = Energy(at lowest point of motion).

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern around a central equilibrium point. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is defined as the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its simple harmonic motion?

The mass of an object does not affect the frequency or period of its simple harmonic motion. However, it does affect the amplitude, or maximum displacement, of the object. A heavier mass will have a smaller amplitude, while a lighter mass will have a larger amplitude.

4. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The period and frequency of simple harmonic motion are inversely proportional. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time.

5. How does the spring constant affect the motion of an object attached to a spring?

The spring constant affects the stiffness of the spring, which in turn affects the frequency and period of the object's simple harmonic motion. A higher spring constant will result in a higher frequency and shorter period, while a lower spring constant will result in a lower frequency and longer period.