Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy

In summary, the acceleration of a body oscillating with simple harmonic motion on the x-axis, whose displacement varies according to x=5sin(πt+π/3) meters, at t=1 second is approximately 3.6 m/s^2.
wesDOT

Homework Statement

A body oscillates with simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. Its displacement varies with time according to the equation x = 5 sin(πt + π/3) meters. The acceleration in m/s2 of the body at t = 1 second is approximately

Homework Equations

The harmonic motion ones I guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I have done anything wrong. Since acceleration is d2x/dt2, i found the second derivative of the equation given which is a=(-pi)^2)*(5)(sin(pi*t + (pi/3)). I plug in 1 for t and get approximately 3.6. If the answer was 3.5 and lower i would just round down, but I am not sure.

my answer choices are 3, 49, 14, 43 and 4.3.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, my calculator was in degree mode, not radian.

I would first confirm that your calculation is correct by checking your work and using a calculator to verify the solution. If the calculation is correct, I would then analyze the discrepancy between your answer and the given answer choices. It is possible that the given answer choices are rounded or approximated, which could explain the discrepancy. Another possibility is that there is an error in the given equation or in the question itself. I would also consider the units of the given answer choices and make sure they match the units of acceleration (m/s2). If none of these explanations seem to account for the discrepancy, I would consult with a colleague or instructor to discuss the issue further and try to find a resolution.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy

What is Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy?

Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy is a phenomenon in which the actual motion of a system deviates from the expected or theoretical motion of a simple harmonic oscillator. It occurs due to external forces, damping, or non-ideal conditions.

What causes Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy?

Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy can be caused by factors such as external forces, including friction and air resistance, which can disrupt the ideal oscillatory motion. Damping, which is a resistance force that reduces the amplitude of the oscillations, can also contribute to the discrepancy.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy measured?

Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy is measured by comparing the actual motion of the system to the expected motion based on the mathematical model of a simple harmonic oscillator. The difference between the two is the discrepancy.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy?

Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy can be observed in various real-life situations, such as a pendulum swinging in the presence of air resistance, a car's suspension system responding to bumps in the road, or a spring-mass system with friction. It can also occur in biological systems, such as the motion of a human arm or leg.

How can Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy be reduced?

To reduce Simple Harmonic Motion Discrepancy, external forces and damping must be minimized. This can be achieved by using lubricants to reduce friction, designing systems with minimal air resistance, or using materials that absorb vibrations. Additionally, regular maintenance and adjustments can help to reduce discrepancies in mechanical systems.