Simple harmonic oscillators on floating object in liquid

In summary, the problem goes by giving you a cylindrical object with radius r and height H, pw(density of water), pc(density of circle) and x(t)=a*cos(wt). You need to find the equation of motion for the object when it is displaced up or down from its equilibrium floating level. The weight force of displaced water is proportional to the volume displaced (positive or negative, depending. That net force (+/-) is the restoring force and is just the same idea as when you pull down a mass on a spring. Then you can write down the second order equation of motion - which gives you ω for the oscillation.
tiz arrior
How can I find omega on an object that is floating on water which is moving up and down on the object? The problem goes by giving you a cylindrical object with radius r and height H, pw(density of water), pc(density of circle) and x(t)=a*cos(wt). I do not understand why pw*pi*r^2*dg=pc*pi*r^2Hg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
You haven't defined the symbols or what that equation represents so it's hard to answer this.
Basically you need an equation which describes the 'restoring force' on the cylinder when it's displaced up or down from its equilibrium floating level. Weight force of displaced water is proportional to the volume displaced (positive or negative, depending. That net force (+/-) is the restoring force and is just the same idea as when you pull down a mass on a spring - and all the other forms of harmonic oscillator.
Then you can write down the second order equation of motion - which gives you ω for the oscillation.

I apologize, you are completely right. This is a picture of the problem.

Attachments

• EC9683F4-8C7B-413C-8FF0-638EA0FD3A63.jpeg
    EC9683F4-8C7B-413C-8FF0-638EA0FD3A63.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 274
sophiecentaur said:
Hi
You haven't defined the symbols or what that equation represents so it's hard to answer this.
Basically you need an equation which describes the 'restoring force' on the cylinder when it's displaced up or down from its equilibrium floating level. Weight force of displaced water is proportional to the volume displaced (positive or negative, depending. That net force (+/-) is the restoring force and is just the same idea as when you pull down a mass on a spring - and all the other forms of harmonic oscillator.
Then you can write down the second order equation of motion - which gives you ω for the oscillation.
I did try to solve the problem, before, got the right answer, but used the wrong method. Right now i do not know how to solve it.

Attachments

• FC3048ED-5400-4D7B-BEEC-15FEE19027D0.jpeg
    FC3048ED-5400-4D7B-BEEC-15FEE19027D0.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 335
tiz arrior said:
I did try to solve the problem, before, got the right answer, but used the wrong method. Right now i do not know how to solve it.
If you write down the equation of motion then you can't be "wrong". Who told you you have used the wrong method? If your equation of motion is of the basic form
m d2x/dt2 = -ax
a is the shrunk down version of the force /distance relationship
then that's all you need.
Actually solving the equation can be found all over the place and ω just drops out in your lap.
PS your handwriting is about as hard to read as mine is but your handwritten stuff looks about right.

sophiecentaur said:
If you write down the equation of motion then you can't be "wrong". Who told you you have used the wrong method? If your equation of motion is of the basic form
m d2x/dt2 = -ax
a is the shrunk down version of the force /distance relationship
then that's all you need.
Actually solving the equation can be found all over the place and ω just drops out in your lap.
PS your handwriting is about as hard to read as mine is but your handwritten stuff looks about right.[/QUOTE
I was told that I couldn’t equal my acceleration to gravity since it would mean that gravity is changing over time which is not true. I did that on the top left corner. I wrote that the second derivative of angular position is equal to angular acceleration which I equaled it to gravity. Hence, proceded to answer the question based on this assumption.
->Haha, actually, i do need to improve my hand writing a bit.

Likes sophiecentaur
This is the final answer. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 08D06240-FD21-41AB-93F4-0DC6C7D823EF.jpeg
    08D06240-FD21-41AB-93F4-0DC6C7D823EF.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 379
Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a type of motion where the object moves back and forth in a regular pattern around a central equilibrium point. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How does a floating object in liquid behave as a simple harmonic oscillator?

When a floating object is placed in a liquid, it will experience an upward buoyant force that is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced. This force acts as the restoring force in the simple harmonic motion, causing the object to oscillate up and down around its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation for a floating object in liquid?

The frequency of oscillation for a floating object in liquid is affected by the mass of the object, the density of the liquid, and the surface tension of the liquid. A heavier object, denser liquid, or higher surface tension will result in a higher frequency of oscillation.

4. How does the amplitude of oscillation change as the object floats deeper in the liquid?

The amplitude of oscillation decreases as the object floats deeper in the liquid. This is because the buoyant force acting on the object increases with depth, counteracting the weight of the object and reducing the displacement from the equilibrium position.

5. Can the simple harmonic motion of a floating object in liquid be used to measure the density of the liquid?

Yes, the frequency of oscillation for a floating object in liquid is directly proportional to the square root of the density of the liquid. By measuring the frequency of oscillation and knowing the mass of the object, the density of the liquid can be calculated using the equation ω = √(g/ρ), where ω is the angular frequency, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and ρ is the density of the liquid.