Simple Heat Exchanger Problem (parallel and counterflow)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of surface area required for cooling exhaust gases in a tubular heat exchanger using water as the cooling medium. The equations used include Qgas = Mgas * Cpgas * Delta Tgas, Qgas = - Qwater, Q = Ut * A * Delta Tmean, and Delta Tmean = (Delta Tout - Delta Tin) / Ln (Delta Tout / Delta Tin). The calculations and use of equations appear to be correct, although it is recommended to include units and double check assumptions for accuracy.
grufff

Homework Statement

Exhaust gasses flowing through a tubular heat exchanger at a rate of 0.3kg/s are cooled from 400C to 120C by water initially at 10C. Specific heat capacities of the exhaust gasses and water may be taken as 1.13 and 4.19 kJ/kg K respectively, and overall heat transfer coefficient from gasses to water is 140 W/m^2 K.

Calculate surface area required when cooling water flow is 0.4kg/s for both parallel and counterflow exchangers.

Homework Equations

I've put the equations I've selected on my working, shown below, but main ones are:

Qgas = Mgas * Cpgas * Delta Tgas

(M = mass flow rate)

Qgas = - Qwater

Q = Ut * A * Delta Tmean

(Ut = overall heat transfer coefficient, A = Area)

Delta Tmean = (Delta Tout - Delta Tin) / Ln (Delta Tout / Delta Tin)

(logarithmic mean temp)

The Attempt at a Solution

My working shown below. I'm hoping someone might be able to let me know if I'm making any terrible blunders, using wrong formulae etc. My study is distance learning and I don't get a chance to discuss it with other students. Once I send my work in it's marked for my final grading so I'd really appreciate a heads up on any sections I should look at again. Thanks if you can help!

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5352127/HeatExchanger1.JPG

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5352127/HeatExchanger2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[/PLAIN][/PLAIN]

Your calculations and use of equations seem to be correct. However, I would suggest including units in your calculations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, you may want to double check your assumptions for the heat transfer coefficient and specific heat capacities to make sure they are accurate for the given conditions. Overall, your solution looks good and I don't see any major errors. Good job!

1. What is a simple heat exchanger?

A simple heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another without mixing the two fluids. It consists of two channels, one for each fluid, that are in close contact with each other to allow for efficient heat transfer.

2. What is the difference between parallel and counterflow heat exchangers?

In a parallel heat exchanger, both fluids flow in the same direction, whereas in a counterflow heat exchanger, they flow in opposite directions. This results in different rates of heat transfer, with counterflow being more efficient as it allows for a larger temperature difference between the two fluids.

3. How does a simple heat exchanger work?

A simple heat exchanger works by allowing the two fluids to come into close contact with each other, without mixing, in order to transfer heat from the hotter fluid to the cooler fluid. This is achieved through the use of a heat-conducting material, such as metal, that allows for efficient heat transfer between the two fluids.

4. What factors affect the performance of a simple heat exchanger?

The performance of a simple heat exchanger is affected by factors such as the flow rate of the fluids, the temperature difference between the two fluids, the type of fluid being used, and the design of the heat exchanger. Other factors, such as fouling and corrosion, can also affect its performance over time.

5. What are some common applications of a simple heat exchanger?

A simple heat exchanger is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for heating and cooling processes, such as in HVAC systems, refrigeration systems, and chemical processing. It is also used in residential settings for water heaters and air conditioning systems.