Simple Parallel Circuit Problem

In summary: Then you can use KCL to find i0. In summary, the conversation discusses finding values for V0 and I0 in a circuit with parallel resistors. The 70 ohm and 30 ohm resistors are identified as parallel, and the conversation continues to discuss using current division and KCL to find the values for I0.
gomezfx

Homework Statement

I have to find V0 and I0.
[PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3058/resistor.png

Homework Equations

I am having trouble identifying parallel resistors.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I think that the 70 ohm and 30 ohm resistors are parallel but I am not sure. I know the share the same node at the top but don't they also have to share the same node as the bottom? Which is not the case (I don't think) due to that middle line that separates the top two resistors from the bottom two.

I just need to know if those are parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gomezfx said:
So far I think that the 70 ohm and 30 ohm resistors are parallel but I am not sure. I know the share the same node at the top but don't they also have to share the same node as the bottom? Which is not the case (I don't think) due to that middle line that separates the top two resistors from the bottom two.

I just need to know if those are parallel.

Yes, the 70 ohm and 30 ohm resistors are parallel.

Imaging that middle line to be shorter, would it matter? Since you are assuming the wires have no resistance it would not. So imagine that is was just a point, that should make it clear that the 70 ohm and 30 ohm resistors are parallel.

Ok thanks. After figuring out those were parallel, I was able to find i, i1, and i2 using current division.

Assuming my values are correct, how do I go about finding i0?
I was thinking of using KCL but I think I have too many unknowns.

Here's my current diagram:
[PLAIN]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3058/resistor.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as you found i1 and i2 you could calculate an i3 and i4 through the two remaining resistor, and then use KCL to find i0

would I do i3=(R4*i1)/(R3+R4) and i4=(R3*i2)/(R3+R4) ?

edit. nevermind, i found i3 using KVL :)

Last edited:
gomezfx said:
would I do i3=(R4*i1)/(R3+R4) and i4=(R3*i2)/(R3+R4)

Yes you would

Related to Simple Parallel Circuit Problem

1. What is a simple parallel circuit?

A simple parallel circuit is a circuit that has two or more components connected in parallel to each other. This means that each component has its own separate pathway for current to flow, and the voltage across each component is the same.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a simple parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a simple parallel circuit, you can use the formula Rtotal = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...) where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each component. This formula takes into account the fact that in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is always smaller than the smallest individual resistance.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a simple parallel circuit?

In a simple parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same, while the total current is equal to the sum of the individual currents through each component. This means that the relationship between voltage and current in a parallel circuit is V = IR for each individual component, and Itotal = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... for the total current.

4. How do I calculate the current through each component in a simple parallel circuit?

To calculate the current through each component in a simple parallel circuit, you can use the formula I = V/R where V is the voltage across the component and R is the resistance of the component. Since the voltage is the same for all components in a parallel circuit, you can use this formula to calculate the individual currents.

5. What happens to the total resistance in a simple parallel circuit if one component is removed?

If one component is removed from a simple parallel circuit, the total resistance in the circuit decreases. This is because there is now one less pathway for current to flow, so the overall resistance is smaller. This phenomenon is known as the "parallel resistor rule".