Simple parallel circuit question

In summary, the conversation discusses an electrical circuit problem given by the math department without a clear understanding of how to solve it. Kirchoff's Law is mentioned, stating that the total change in electrical potential around a closed loop is zero. The sum of all currents at any node in the circuit is also mentioned. The conversation then goes on to discuss equations and variables needed to solve the problem, with clarification on the direction of current flow. Finally, a suggestion is made to simplify the problem by using variables and applying Kirchoff's Law to two closed loops.
jgv115
Ok so my maths department decided to give us a question about electrical circuits with no information on how they work. Considering that more than half of the students are only starting their physics study this year (including me) it seems a bit odd... I just need a bit of clarification on a few things.

Diagram here:
wQqvUiu.png

I understand that Kirchoff's Law says that the total change in electrical potential around a closed loop is zero.
So that means we have... [itex]V = i_{2}R + i_{7}R[/itex] and also [itex]V= i_{3}R + i_{4}R [/itex]. Is this correct so far?

Another law I found was that the sum of all currents at any node in the circuit is zero..

So we have... [itex]i_{2} -i_{3} - i_{7} = 0 [/itex] and [itex]i_{5} + i_{7} - i_{6} = 0[/itex]

If this is all correct, then I have 4 equations... I need a total of 7 to solve for the values of the currents in terms of V and R.

Unfortunately, that is as far as my knowledge takes me... Could someone point me in some direction as to how I could find the other equations.

Is by any change [itex] i_{3} = i_{4} = i_{5} [/itex] and [itex]i_{1} + i_{2} + i_{6} [/itex]

Thanks in advanced

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jgv115! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Current doesn't evaporate or get used up, so i3 = i4 = i5
and i1 = i2 = i6
and i7 + i5 = i6

If your arrows indicate current direction, then they should all be reversed because current goes from the large (+) terminal then around the circuit and back into the battery's stubby terminal. (As your diagram stands, the arrows are correct for electron flow. Conventional current is said to flow in the opposite direction―an historical anomaly.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, NascentOxygen

Thanks for the simple explanation (which is all I needed for this maths question).

Could you perhaps confirm whether or not [itex]V= i_{3}R + i_{4}R [/itex]

I'm just a bit worried that because the current gets split at the top node that this somehow isn't correct.

Thank you

jgv115 said:
Could you perhaps confirm whether or not [itex]V= i_{3}R + i_{4}R [/itex]

No, you have missed a resistor out of that closed loop.

Hmm... does that mean I'm missing the resistor above [itex]i_{2}[/itex]?

That makes it [itex]V= i_{3}R + i_{4}R + i_{2}R [/itex]. Is that right?

Yes that's right! Does it help if you simplify the whole thing e.g. by setting ## j = i_7 ## and ## k = i_3 = i_4 = i_5 ## ? You then only have two variables so only need two equations, and you have two closed loops over which you can apply Kirchoff's Law...

What is a simple parallel circuit?

A simple parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in parallel, meaning that they are connected to each other in separate branches. This allows for multiple current paths within the circuit.

What are the components of a simple parallel circuit?

The components of a simple parallel circuit include a power source, such as a battery, and two or more branches with separate resistors or loads connected in parallel.

How does current flow in a simple parallel circuit?

In a simple parallel circuit, the total current is divided between each branch based on the resistance of the components. This means that the total current entering the circuit is equal to the sum of the currents in each branch.

What is the total resistance in a simple parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a simple parallel circuit is less than the individual resistances of the components. This is because the current is divided between each branch, reducing the overall resistance in the circuit.

What happens if one component in a simple parallel circuit fails?

If one component in a simple parallel circuit fails, the other components will still function independently. This is because each branch has its own current path, so the failure of one component will not affect the overall circuit.