Calculating Acceleration of Particles on a Sloping Roof

In summary, two particles A and B with masses of 0.2 kg and 0.3 kg, respectively, are attached to an inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley. A is initially at rest on a sloping roof at a 30 degree angle with the horizontal, while B hangs freely below the roof. The acceleration of the particles when released is found by considering the tension in the string and using the equations 0.3g - T = 0.3a and T + 0.2g sin 30 deg = 0.2a. After simplifying, the final equation is 0.5a = 0.2g, which gives an acceleration of a = 0
hendrix7
Two particles, A (mass 0.2 kg) and B (mass 0.3 kg), are attached to an inexstensible string which passes over a smooth pulley. A initially rests on a sloping roof that makes a 30 degree angle with the horizontal and B hangs freely below the roof. Find the acceleration, a, of the particles when released from rest.
(I tried to draw a diagram but it came out looking a mess).
My workings (T is the tension in the string):
(1) 0.3g - T = 0.3a
(2) T - 0.2g sin 30 deg = 0.2a

(1) T = 0.3g - 0.3a
(2) 0.3g - 0.3a - 0.1g = 0.2a
(2) 0.5a = 0.2g
(2) a = 0.4g
taking g to be 9.8 m/s/s:
a = 3.92 m/s/s
My book says 7.84 m/s/s.
What did I do wrong?

Thanks for any help.
Jimi

Physics news on Phys.org
hendrix7 said:
My book says 7.84 m/s/s.
What did I do wrong?

Thanks for any help.
Jimi
Try sloping your roof in the other direction. Looks like that would just about give the quoted answer, but I did not calculate it

According to OlderDan's tip you should replace eq [2] by

[tex]T + 0.2gsin30^{\circ}[/tex],

which should give you 4/5g.

Yep, you're both right, I see it. Thanks.

1. What are simple particles?

Simple particles are the smallest units of matter that cannot be broken down into smaller components. They are the building blocks of all matter and include particles such as atoms, protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. How do simple particles interact with each other?

Simple particles interact with each other through fundamental forces such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces determine the motion and behavior of particles in the universe.

3. What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time. It can be described in terms of speed, velocity, and acceleration. Motion is caused by forces acting on an object, which can be either external or internal.

4. How do simple particles move?

Simple particles move in a variety of ways depending on the forces acting on them. They can move in a straight line, in a curved path, or in a random motion. The motion of particles can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. Can simple particles be seen?

Simple particles cannot be seen with the naked eye as they are too small. However, scientists have developed powerful tools such as microscopes and particle accelerators to observe and study these particles. These tools allow us to understand the behavior and properties of simple particles.