Simple Pendulum nonlinear second order differential equation

In summary, the homework equation is:-dt=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{k^2-k^2sin^2(\phi)}}where k=sin(\alpha/2) and dθ=d\theta/d\phi. If sin(\theta/2)=k\sin(\phi), then \theta=2arcsin(ksin(\phi)) and d\theta/d\phi=2\frac{kcos(\phi)}{\sqrt{1-k^2sin(\phi)}}.
Stantoine

Homework Statement

given: [itex]dt=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{sin^2(\alpha/2)-sin^2(\theta/2)}}[/itex]

make the change of variables [itex]sin(\theta/2)=sin(\alpha/2)sin(\phi)[/itex]

to show that: [itex]dt=-\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1-k^2sin^2(\phi)}}[/itex]

where [itex]k=sin(\alpha/2)[/itex]

Homework Equations

given in (A)

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting for θ i have gotten to:

[itex]dt=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{k^2-k^2sin^2(\phi)}}[/itex]

I'm not sure how to go any farther, or how to substitute for dθ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to substitute for ##d\theta## as well.

if ##\sin(\theta/2)=k\sin(\phi)##
then ##\theta=?## and ##d\theta/d\phi=?##

Note: ##\sqrt{k^2-k^2\sin^2(\phi)}=k\cos(\phi)##

Last edited:
Differenting both sides and then doing some algebra gives me

[itex]d\theta=\frac{2sin(\alpha/2)cos(\phi)d\phi}{cos(\theta/2)}[/itex]

Also thank you for pointing out that my denominator can be rewritten as kcos(θ). That seems potentially helpful.

If [itex]sin(\theta/2)=ksin(\phi)[/itex], then [itex]\theta=2arcsin(ksin(\phi))=2\phi*arcsin(k)[/itex]?

That won't help unless you can find ##\cos(\theta/2)## in terms of ##\phi##.
(What did you differentiate both sides with respect to?!
It looks like you differentiated the LHS wrt ##\theta## and the RHS wrt ##\phi## which is a nono.)

Why not start by solving the equation for ##\theta## and then differentiating that?

I did differentiate the LHS wrt θ and the RHS wrt phi. Come to think of it, that doesn't make sense at all!

If I were to solve for [itex]\theta[/itex], I think I'd get:

[itex]\theta=2arcsin(ksin(\phi))[/itex]

then differentiating with respect to phi,

[itex]\frac{d\theta}{d\phi}=2\frac{kcos(\phi)}{\sqrt{1-k^2sin(\phi)}}[/itex]

so I can substitute [itex]d\theta=2d\phi*\frac{kcos(\phi)}{\sqrt{1-k^2sin(\phi)}}[/itex] in?

Last edited:
That's the idea!
Notice how that aready looks a lot like the answer you are looking for?
And you have a ##k\cos(\phi)## in the numerator to cancel out that stuff you already have in the denominator!

Aside:
trig function in LaTeX look better if you put a \ in front of them so ##\arcsin(\phi)## instead of ##arcsin(\phi)## see?

Last edited:
I see the difference! I'm a little new here for thanks for the tip.

I believe I was able to solve the problem with your help. It is very much appreciated! Thanks for the expedient responses and have a nice holiday season.

No worries - not holidays in NZ yet though ;)

1. What is a simple pendulum nonlinear second order differential equation?

A simple pendulum nonlinear second order differential equation is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a pendulum. It takes into account the nonlinearity of the pendulum's motion, which means that the restoring force is not directly proportional to the displacement. It is a second order differential equation because it involves the second derivative of the pendulum's position with respect to time.

2. How is the simple pendulum nonlinear second order differential equation derived?

The simple pendulum nonlinear second order differential equation is derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In the case of a pendulum, the net force is the sum of the gravitational force and the tension force of the string. By applying this law, we can derive the differential equation that describes the motion of the pendulum.

3. What is the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, or swing, from one side to the other and back again. It depends on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. The equation for the period of a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The amplitude of a simple pendulum is the maximum displacement from its equilibrium position. The amplitude does not affect the period of the pendulum, but it does affect the maximum velocity and acceleration of the pendulum. A larger amplitude will result in a larger maximum velocity and acceleration, meaning the pendulum will swing faster and with more force.

5. Can the simple pendulum nonlinear second order differential equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the simple pendulum nonlinear second order differential equation can be solved analytically. However, the solution involves special functions called elliptic integrals, which can be quite complicated. Therefore, it is more common to solve the equation numerically using computer algorithms. This allows for more accurate and efficient solutions to be obtained.