Understanding T^2 x L Graphing for Simple Pendulum Experiment

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on graphing a T^2 x L graph for a simple pendulum experiment. They plan on using the length on the x-axis and T^2 on the y-axis, but are unsure of how to find their T^2 values. They receive clarification to plot T^2 as the ordinate and to use the values of L in meters on the x-axis and T^2 in seconds^2 on the y-axis. They are also advised to try squaring their T values and plotting them to see the results.
shivam28
Summary: Question regarding graphing a T^2 x L graph for a simple pendulum

I did a Simple Pendulum experiment in my college physics class the other day. We were asked to graph a T^2 x L graph based off our results. I plan on using the Length on the x-axis and the T^2 on the Y-axis.

This may seem like a simple question but how would I find my T^2? Is it just simply the Period (T) that we timed but squared? For example: T = 1.10s is 1.21 T^2. Or, is there some kind of formula I need to find T^2? Here is a picture of my table that will hopefully clarify:
404F9E2F-6DFD-4BA0-8644-DE0A40AA76B0.jpeg

Based off my picture above, should I plot my first coordinate at (28, 1.10) or (28, 1.21)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need T2 as the ordinate: you expect a linear dependency on T2, not on T.

BvU said:

Sorry, I don't believe I understand.

BvU said:

So Should I be squaring my T values to get T^2 and use those as the values on my Y-axis?

I would plot L (meters) on the x-axis and T^2 (seconds^2) on the y-axis.

gmax137 said:
I would plot L (meters) on the x-axis and T^2 (seconds^2) on the y-axis.

Yup, that's what I said I was going to do. I'm only confused on how to get my T^2. Is it just squaring the T value that I already have written down (1.10 to 1.21), or is there an equation for it (I've seen people do it both ways on different forums, with different answers).

shivam28 said:
Is it just squaring the T value that I already have written down (1.10 to 1.21)
Yes.
shivam28 said:
I've seen people do it both ways on different forums
Please post an example or link for the 'other' way.

shivam28 said:
So Should I be squaring my T values to get T^2 and use those as the values on my Y-axis?
Just DO IT and see what happens. Make y = T2 and plot x against y. :smile:

1. What is a T^2 x L graph used for in a simple pendulum experiment?

A T^2 x L graph is used to analyze and understand the relationship between the period of a pendulum (T) and the length of its string (L). It helps to determine the gravitational acceleration (g) in a specific location.

2. How do you plot a T^2 x L graph for a simple pendulum experiment?

To plot a T^2 x L graph, first measure the length of the string used in the pendulum experiment. Then, measure the time taken for the pendulum to complete 10 oscillations. Repeat this for different lengths of string and record the corresponding time. Finally, plot the values on a graph with T^2 on the y-axis and L on the x-axis.

3. What is the significance of the slope of a T^2 x L graph in a simple pendulum experiment?

The slope of a T^2 x L graph represents the value of gravitational acceleration (g). This is because according to the equation T^2 = (4π^2/g)L, the slope is equal to 4π^2/g. Therefore, by finding the slope, we can determine the value of g in a specific location.

4. How can we use a T^2 x L graph to improve the accuracy of our simple pendulum experiment?

By plotting a T^2 x L graph, we can identify any outliers or inconsistencies in our data. This will help us to improve the accuracy of our experiment by repeating measurements or adjusting experimental conditions. Additionally, we can use the slope of the graph to determine the value of g more accurately.

5. Can a T^2 x L graph be used for all types of pendulums?

Yes, a T^2 x L graph can be used for all types of pendulums, including simple pendulums, compound pendulums, and physical pendulums. As long as the period and length of the pendulum are measured accurately, the graph can be used to analyze the relationship between them and determine the value of g.