Simple Pendulum: Understand the Relationship Between Theta & L

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the restoring force and displacement in a pendulum. The equation x=(theta)*L is mentioned, which represents the relationship between the horizontal displacement and the length of the pendulum's arc. The conversation also touches on the unit conversion involved in this equation, with the angle needing to be measured in radians to accurately calculate the arc length. Finally, it is noted that for small angles, the horizontal displacement and arc length are approximately equal.
SebastianRM
1. Homework Statement
Hey guys, I am reading my Physics book, in that specific section it says "the restoring force must be directly proportional to x or (because x=(theta)*L) to theta"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to look for that x=(theta)*L relationship online; however, I was not able to find it. I was hoping someone here could explain that relationship to me.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a force diagram? It should become clear from that.

Yeah it comes with a diagram, but i do not see how multiplying L by the displaced angle, I can end up with the length of the arc. Like, how the unit conversion works. for that? With the diagram I can see where the the restoring force in the pendulum comes from though.

The arc length is L*theta by definition of the arc length or the angle.
For small angles, this is approximately equal to the horizontal displacement as well.

And how would the unit conversion work that by doing the equation, it provides the arc length?

SebastianRM said:
And how would the unit conversion work that by doing the equation, it provides the arc length?
I'm not able to parse that question, so I'm not sure what you are asking. The angle must be provided in radians. The definition of the radian is that if the angle is measured in radians then multiplying it by the radius gives the arc length.
Of course, if x is the horizontal displacement then that is not the same as the arc length, but as mfb posted they are approximately the same for small angles.

Likes SebastianRM

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a mass suspended from a fixed point that is allowed to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It consists of a mass, a string or rod, and a fixed pivot point.

What is the relationship between the angle of displacement (theta) and the length of the pendulum (L)?

The length of a simple pendulum affects the period of its oscillations. The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the period of its oscillations. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect its period. The period of a simple pendulum only depends on the length and acceleration due to gravity.

What factors can affect the period of a simple pendulum?

Apart from the length and acceleration due to gravity, factors such as air resistance, amplitude of the swing, and the angle at which the pendulum is released can also affect the period of a simple pendulum.

How can the period of a simple pendulum be calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).