Solving for the Third Force in a Simple Physics Problem with Constant Velocity

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the third force acting on a particle that is moving with a constant velocity. The two known forces acting on the particle are F1 = (-9 N) x + (10 N) y + (2 N) z and F2 = (6 N) x + (1 N) y + (9 N) z. The method for finding the magnitude of the third force is to set up three equations, one for each component (x, y, and z), and use the values of F1 and F2 to solve for the components of the third force.
Rasine
Three forces act on a particle that moves with a constant velocity v = (2 m/s) x - (7 m/s) y. Two of the forces acting on this particle are F1 = (-9 N) x + (10 N) y + (2 N) z and F2 = (6 N) x + (1 N) y + (9 N) z. What is the magnitude of the third force?

so what i was trying to do is take the f1z component and the f2z compoment and finnding the magnitude by doing squroot(9^2+2^2)...but that is not how you do it...

can someone please point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the components of the third force, considering that the net force on the particle must be zero.

so if the net force does not change the velocity then f1 and f2 should yeild 0 right?

Last edited:
No. You need to find the components of the third force; F3. Since the acceleration is zero in each direction, you know that the sum of the components of the forces in each direction must be zero; i.e. f1x+f2x+f3x=0... etc.

so how would i go about doing this... f1 and f2 should be equal right? um...so the magnitude of f3 should make be the variable that makes f1 and f2 =0 right?

Don't think about the magnitude yet. f1 and f2 are not equal; you are given the values of them. Set up three equations, f1x+f2x+f3x=0, and the other similar two. Then you know the values for f1x and f2x, and so obtain -9+6+f3x=0. This will give you the x component of f3. Use similar equations for the y and z components.

1. What is a simple physics problem?

A simple physics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of basic physics principles to solve. It typically involves concepts such as force, motion, energy, and/or gravity.

2. Why is it important to understand simple physics?

Understanding simple physics is important because it helps us make sense of the physical world around us. It also provides the foundation for more complex concepts and allows us to solve real-world problems.

3. How can I improve my understanding of simple physics?

One way to improve your understanding of simple physics is to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, conducting experiments, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when solving simple physics problems?

One common mistake is not properly identifying all the forces acting on an object. Another is not correctly applying the relevant equations or using the wrong units. It's also important to pay attention to significant figures and rounding.

5. How can I check if my answer to a simple physics problem is correct?

One way to check your answer is to plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies all the given conditions. Another method is to compare your answer to an expected value, if one is provided. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work and provide feedback.