Simple potentiometer circuit help

In summary, the conversation is about a simple potentiometer circuit used to measure unknown voltages. The unknown voltage is determined by adjusting the resistances until the current in the ammeter is zero, and the formula for calculating the unknown voltage is Vx=Vs*R2/(R1+R2). The individual asking for suggestions is reminded to follow the guidelines for posting in the coursework forum, and another individual provides a solution using Kirchhoff's laws. The conversation ends with clarification that the current in the ammeter is 0 and the current through R1 and R2 is the same.
brad sue
Hi ,please Can I have some suggestions to do this exercice:

A simple potentiometer circuit used to measure unknown voltages accurately is shown below.
Here Vs is the known source voltage, Vxis the unknown voltage, and the resistor is a variable one from which the values R1 and R2 can be read from the position of the pointer. these resistances are varied until the current in the ammeter is zero. Show that the unknown voltage then has the value Vx=Vs*R2/(R1+R2).

I can not create a picture.
Thank you

B

Physics news on Phys.org
How can we give you correct suggestion without seeing your picture?

brad sue said:
Hi ,please Can I have some suggestions to do this exercice:
Brad, please read the guidelines for posting in the coursework forum.

Here's my solution to your problem

[tex]V_S=I(R_1+R_2)[/tex]

[tex]V_X=IR_2[/tex](because the current through ammeter is [tex]0[/tex]).

Then the answer is obvious[tex]V_X=\frac{V_SR_2}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]

phucnv87 said:
Here's my solution to your problem

[tex]V_S=I(R_1+R_2)[/tex]

[tex]V_X=IR_2[/tex](because the current through ammeter is [tex]0[/tex]).

Then the answer is obvious[tex]V_X=\frac{V_SR_2}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]

Thank you, but please can you give me more precision about Vx=I*R2?
if there is current in the ammeter, this means that Vx should equal to 0 since U=R*I right?

Using the first and the second Kirchhoff's law you will easily find out what I mean and remember to use [tex]I_A=0[/tex] in your equations.

Brad Sue, your current i2 = 0 , once the resistors have been properly adjusted.
The I in "IR_2" ... (in post#5) is your i1 ... R1 and R2 have same current
since none of it goes thru the ammeter.

1. What is a potentiometer circuit?

A potentiometer circuit is an electronic circuit that uses a variable resistor, called a potentiometer, to control the flow of current. It is commonly used to adjust the volume or brightness of electronic devices.

2. How does a potentiometer circuit work?

A potentiometer circuit works by varying the resistance of the potentiometer. By adjusting the position of the potentiometer's wiper, the amount of current flowing through the circuit can be controlled.

3. What are some common applications of a potentiometer circuit?

Potentiometer circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as audio equipment, dimmer switches, and voltage regulators. They can also be used in scientific experiments and as sensing devices.

4. How do I build a simple potentiometer circuit?

To build a simple potentiometer circuit, you will need a potentiometer, a power source, and some connecting wires. The potentiometer should be connected in series with the circuit, and the wiper should be connected to the point where you want to control the current.

5. What are some common issues with potentiometer circuits?

Some common issues with potentiometer circuits include poor connections, incorrect wiring, and faulty components. It is important to double-check all connections and ensure that the correct values are being used for the potentiometer and other components.