Simple problem involving pulley with mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the acceleration of a block attached to a descending pulley with a disc shape and a fixed, frictionless pulley. The moment of inertia and mass of the disc are given, as well as the equations and variables used to solve for the acceleration. The original poster's solution is shown, but the given answer does not match the calculated result.
Saitama

Homework Statement

The descending pulley (disc shaped) shown in the figure have a radius 20 cm and moment of inertia 0.20 kg-m2. The fixed pulley is light and the horizontal plane frictionless. Find the acceleration of the block if its mass is 1.0 kg.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The moment of inertia for a disc about its CoM is: ##\frac{MR^2}{2}##. Equating this with 0.2 kg-m2 and substituting R=0.2 m, M=10 kg.

Let T2 and T1 be the tensions in the strings. T2 on the left of disc and T1 on right of disc.

If A is the acceleration of disc, then 2A is the acceleration of disc. Also, let ##\alpha## be the angular acceleration of disc the direction of which is anti-clockwise.

Newton's second law on disc: ##10g-(T_1+T_2)=10A## and for block: ##T_2=2A## (mass of block is 1 kg).

Torque about CM of disc: ##(T_1-T_2)R=I\alpha \Rightarrow (T_1-T_2)(0.2)=(0.2)\alpha \Rightarrow T_1-T_2=\alpha##.

Next is equating the acceleration along the string. The point of contact of string with the disc on the left goes down with an acceleration of ##A+\alpha R##. Hence, ##A+\alpha R=2A##.

I have enough equations but solving these equations gives me a wrong answer. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• pulley and blocks.png
    pulley and blocks.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 646
Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis seems reasonable. What did you get for the acceleration of the disc? (And what was the "right" answer?)

Likes 1 person
Hi Pranav...

It looks alright to me .What is the correct answer and the answer you are getting?

Doc Al said:
Your analysis seems reasonable. What did you get for the acceleration of the disc? (And what was the "right" answer?)

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Pranav...

It looks alright to me .What is the correct answer and the answer you are getting?

Hi Doc Al and Tanya! :)

I had ##A+\alpha R=2A \Rightarrow \alpha=5A##. Since ##T_1-T_2=\alpha## and ##T_2=2A##, we have ##T_1=7A##.

From Newton's second law on disc: ##10g-(T_1+T_2)=10A \Rightarrow 10g-9A=10A \Rightarrow A=10g/19##.

Hence, acceleration of block is ##2A=20g/19=10.31 \,\, m/s^2##.

The given answer is ##5.96 \,\, m/s^2##.

10.31 ms-2 is the correct answer :smile: .

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
10.31 ms-2 is the correct answer :smile: .
Thanks for the check! :)

The answer key seems to give acceleration of the disc .

It doesn't look so. The acceleration of disc comes out to be 5.15 m/s^2.

Pranav-Arora said:
Hence, acceleration of block is ##2A=20g/19=10.31 \,\, m/s^2##.
I agree with that answer.

The given answer is ##5.96 \,\, m/s^2##.
I don't know what that's supposed to be. Did they give a solution, or just an answer?

Doc Al said:
I don't know what that's supposed to be. Did they give a solution, or just an answer?

Only the answer. :(

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by changing the direction of the force needed to lift the object.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables, making it easier to lift. By changing the direction of the force needed to lift the object, a pulley can make it feel lighter to lift.

What is the relationship between mass and force in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the mass of the object being lifted is directly proportional to the force needed to lift it. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the force needed to lift it also increases.

What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the factor by which the force needed to lift an object is reduced. This is determined by the number of ropes or cables supporting the object. The more ropes or cables, the greater the mechanical advantage.

How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force needed to lift it. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it takes 20 pounds of force to lift it, the mechanical advantage would be 5 (100/20 = 5).