1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple problem involving pulley with mass

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The descending pulley (disc shaped) shown in the figure have a radius 20 cm and moment of inertia 0.20 kg-m2. The fixed pulley is light and the horizontal plane frictionless. Find the acceleration of the block if its mass is 1.0 kg.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The moment of inertia for a disc about its CoM is: ##\frac{MR^2}{2}##. Equating this with 0.2 kg-m2 and substituting R=0.2 m, M=10 kg.

Let T2 and T1 be the tensions in the strings. T2 on the left of disc and T1 on right of disc.

If A is the acceleration of disc, then 2A is the acceleration of disc. Also, let ##\alpha## be the angular acceleration of disc the direction of which is anti-clockwise.

Newton's second law on disc: ##10g-(T_1+T_2)=10A## and for block: ##T_2=2A## (mass of block is 1 kg).

Torque about CM of disc: ##(T_1-T_2)R=I\alpha \Rightarrow (T_1-T_2)(0.2)=(0.2)\alpha \Rightarrow T_1-T_2=\alpha##.

Next is equating the acceleration along the string. The point of contact of string with the disc on the left goes down with an acceleration of ##A+\alpha R##. Hence, ##A+\alpha R=2A##.

I have enough equations but solving these equations gives me a wrong answer. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your analysis seems reasonable. What did you get for the acceleration of the disc? (And what was the "right" answer?)

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3
    Hi Pranav...

It looks alright to me .What is the correct answer and the answer you are getting?

5. Nov 14, 2013 #4
    Hi Doc Al and Tanya! :)

I had ##A+\alpha R=2A \Rightarrow \alpha=5A##. Since ##T_1-T_2=\alpha## and ##T_2=2A##, we have ##T_1=7A##.

From Newton's second law on disc: ##10g-(T_1+T_2)=10A \Rightarrow 10g-9A=10A \Rightarrow A=10g/19##.

Hence, acceleration of block is ##2A=20g/19=10.31 \,\, m/s^2##.

The given answer is ##5.96 \,\, m/s^2##.

6. Nov 14, 2013 #5
    10.31 ms-2 is the correct answer :smile: .

7. Nov 14, 2013 #6
    Thanks for the check! :)

It doesn't look so. The acceleration of disc comes out to be 5.15 m/s^2.

8. Nov 14, 2013 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I agree with that answer.

I don't know what that's supposed to be. Did they give a solution, or just an answer?

9. Nov 14, 2013 #8
    Only the answer. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted