Simple problem on waves (Math query)

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, Homework statement says that if you send an incident wave of specified shape down a string number 1, it will give rise to a reflected wave, h_{R}(z+v_{1}t), and a transmitted wave, g_{T}(z-v_{2}t). The boundary conditions 9.26 and 9.27 state that by imposing these conditions, find h_{R} and g_{T}.
maverick280857

Homework Statement

(Griffiths) Suppose you send an incident wave of specified shape [itex]g_{I}(z-v_{1}t)[/itex], down string number 1. It gives rise to a reflected wave, [itex]h_{R}(z+v_{1}t)[/itex], and a transmitted wave, [itex]g_{T}(z-v_{2}t)[/itex]. By imposing the boundary conditions 9.26 and 9.27, find [itex]h_{R}[/itex] and [itex]g_{T}[/itex].

(Boundary conditions 9.26 and 9.27 are equations expressing continuity and differentiability at z = 0).

Homework Equations

Continuity at [itex]z = 0[/itex] implies

[tex]g_{I}(-v_{1}t) + h_{R}(v_{1}t) = g_{T}(-v_{2}t)[/tex]

Also,

[tex]\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial z} = -\frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial z} = \frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial t}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial z} = -\frac{1}{v_{2}}\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial t}[/tex]

So the differentiability condition

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial z}\right)_{z=0^{-}} + \left(\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial z}\right)_{z=0^{-}} = \left(\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial z}\right)_{z=0^{+}}[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]-\frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial t} = -\frac{1}{v_{2}}\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just stuck with the integration of the last equation. I know I should get something like

[tex]g_{I}(-v_{1}t) - h_{R}(v_{1}t) = \frac{v_{1}}{v_{2}}g_{T}(-v_{2}t) + C[/tex]

C = constant

But I can't exactly get to this by integrating the last equation...I get velocity squares or something (which I know from analysis of sine waves, is wrong)...I think I am wrongly applying the chain rule. Can someone please help me out here? (:zzz:)

Thanks and cheers
vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas, anyone? :confused:

To the Moderator: Can you please shift this to the appropriate sub forum?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to use the chain rule. Since you have no hidden t dependence in your functions I guess you can say
[tex]
\int (\frac{\partial}{\partial t} f(z,t) )dt=f(z,t) + C
[/tex]
Differentiation and then integration with respect to t should give the same function back. Then you get directly the answer you wanted...

Using this together with the continuity at z=0 should allow you to express transmitted and reflected waves in terms of the incident wave.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I meant to say "change of variable" instead of "chain rule". This is where I am getting stuck:

[tex]-\frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial t} = -\frac{1}{v_{2}}\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Now, integrate both sides with respect to time. The first term is really

[tex]-\frac{1}{v_{1}}\int\frac{\partial g_{I}(-v_{1}t)}{\partial t}dt[/tex]

I just want to do this integral explicitly, to convince myself that the equation I ought to be getting is obvious... I am making some silly mistake each time with it...

Hi!

OK, explicitly I think your integral would be (ignoring the first constant):
[tex]
\int\frac{\partial g_{I}(-v_{1}t)}{\partial t}dt=
\int -v_1\, g'_I(-v_{1}t)dt
[/tex]
using the chain rule (yes if you want to write out the detalis we need it). Now putting x=-v1 t, and with dt=-dx/v1
[tex]
=\int -v_1\, g'_I(x)\frac{-dx}{v_1}
=\int g'_I(x) dx
=g_I(x)+C=g_I(-v_1 t)+C
[/tex]

But this I think we can see directly also since by definition the primitive function of the derivative gives the same function back... Hope I got the details correct.

Hi Andrew

Thanks...I understand my mistake now. I was factoring out the 1/v1 term without a multiplicative v1 term so I would get something like 1/v1 squared :rolleyes:

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is the formula for calculating wave speed?

The formula for calculating wave speed is: wave speed = frequency x wavelength. This means that the speed of a wave is directly proportional to its frequency and wavelength.

2. How do I convert between frequency and wavelength?

To convert between frequency and wavelength, you can use the formula: wavelength = wave speed / frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

3. Can you explain the concept of wave interference?

Wave interference occurs when two or more waves meet or overlap. Depending on the type of interference, the waves can either amplify or cancel each other out. This phenomenon is important in understanding how waves behave and interact with each other.

4. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are waves in which the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while longitudinal waves are waves in which the particles of the medium move parallel to the direction of the wave. Examples of transverse waves include light and water waves, while sound waves are an example of longitudinal waves.

5. How do I calculate the period of a wave?

The period of a wave is the amount of time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave to pass a certain point. It can be calculated using the formula: period = 1 / frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.