1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple problem on waves (Math query)

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(Griffiths) Suppose you send an incident wave of specified shape [itex]g_{I}(z-v_{1}t)[/itex], down string number 1. It gives rise to a reflected wave, [itex]h_{R}(z+v_{1}t)[/itex], and a transmitted wave, [itex]g_{T}(z-v_{2}t)[/itex]. By imposing the boundary conditions 9.26 and 9.27, find [itex]h_{R}[/itex] and [itex]g_{T}[/itex].

(Boundary conditions 9.26 and 9.27 are equations expressing continuity and differentiability at z = 0).

2. Relevant equations

Continuity at [itex]z = 0[/itex] implies

[tex]g_{I}(-v_{1}t) + h_{R}(v_{1}t) = g_{T}(-v_{2}t)[/tex]

Also,

[tex]\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial z} = -\frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial z} = \frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial z} = -\frac{1}{v_{2}}\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial t}[/tex]

So the differentiability condition

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial z}\right)_{z=0^{-}} + \left(\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial z}\right)_{z=0^{-}} = \left(\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial z}\right)_{z=0^{+}}[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]-\frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial t} = -\frac{1}{v_{2}}\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial t}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am just stuck with the integration of the last equation. I know I should get something like

[tex]g_{I}(-v_{1}t) - h_{R}(v_{1}t) = \frac{v_{1}}{v_{2}}g_{T}(-v_{2}t) + C[/tex]

C = constant

But I can't exactly get to this by integrating the last equation...I get velocity squares or something (which I know from analysis of sine waves, is wrong)...I think I am wrongly applying the chain rule. Can someone please help me out here? (:zzz:)

Thanks and cheers
    vivek

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2
    Any ideas, anyone? :confused:

4. Apr 9, 2007 #3
    To the Moderator: Can you please shift this to the appropriate sub forum?

5. Apr 10, 2007 #4
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to use the chain rule. Since you have no hidden t dependence in your functions I guess you can say
    [tex]
    \int (\frac{\partial}{\partial t} f(z,t) )dt=f(z,t) + C
    [/tex]
    Differentiation and then integration with respect to t should give the same function back. Then you get directly the answer you wanted...

Using this together with the continuity at z=0 should allow you to express transmitted and reflected waves in terms of the incident wave.

6. Apr 10, 2007 #5
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I meant to say "change of variable" instead of "chain rule". This is where I am getting stuck:

[tex]-\frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial g_{I}}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{v_{1}}\frac{\partial h_{R}}{\partial t} = -\frac{1}{v_{2}}\frac{\partial g_{T}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Now, integrate both sides with respect to time. The first term is really

[tex]-\frac{1}{v_{1}}\int\frac{\partial g_{I}(-v_{1}t)}{\partial t}dt[/tex]

I just want to do this integral explicitly, to convince myself that the equation I ought to be getting is obvious... I am making some silly mistake each time with it...

7. Apr 10, 2007 #6
    Hi!

OK, explicitly I think your integral would be (ignoring the first constant):
    [tex]
    \int\frac{\partial g_{I}(-v_{1}t)}{\partial t}dt=
    \int -v_1\, g'_I(-v_{1}t)dt
    [/tex]
    using the chain rule (yes if you want to write out the detalis we need it). Now putting x=-v1 t, and with dt=-dx/v1
    [tex]
    =\int -v_1\, g'_I(x)\frac{-dx}{v_1}
    =\int g'_I(x) dx
    =g_I(x)+C=g_I(-v_1 t)+C
    [/tex]

But this I think we can see directly also since by definition the primitive function of the derivative gives the same function back... Hope I got the details correct.

8. Apr 10, 2007 #7
    Hi Andrew

Thanks...I understand my mistake now. I was factoring out the 1/v1 term without a multiplicative v1 term so I would get something like 1/v1 squared :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Vivek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?