Simple Pulley System: Accelerations Equation Explained

In summary, the conversation is about a pulley system and understanding the equation for acceleration (a1 = 2*a2) in relation to the length of the rope. The solution involves double-differentiating the equation x1 = 2x2 and using simple geometry to show that when m2 moves a distance x2, m1 moves a distance x1 = 2x2.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I have the following pulley system (in the pic).
I wrote down all the equations.
The thing I don't get is the accelerations equation (a1 = 2*a2). I understand that I can get to this equation somehow by the length of the rope, but how?
Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
asi123 said:
The thing I don't get is the accelerations equation (a1 = 2*a2). I understand that I can get to this equation somehow by the length of the rope, but how?

Hi asi123! :smile:

You get it by double-differentiating x1 = 2x2

and that is simple geometry … when m2 moves a distance x2, m1 moves a distance x1 = 2x2. :smile:

I am happy to see that you are actively exploring and trying to understand the equations for a simple pulley system. To explain the accelerations equation, we need to first understand the principles behind a simple pulley system.

A simple pulley system consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel or pulley, with one end attached to a fixed point and the other end attached to a load. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, it causes the load to move in the opposite direction. The motion of the load is dependent on the tension and direction of the forces acting on the rope.

Now, to understand the accelerations equation (a1 = 2*a2), we need to consider the motion of the pulley itself. In this case, the pulley is assumed to be massless, which means it has no mass and therefore no inertia. This allows us to simplify the equations and focus on the motion of the load.

Using Newton's Second Law, we know that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this case, the load is connected to two sections of rope, with one end attached to the fixed point and the other end attached to the pulley. This creates two forces acting on the load - the weight of the load pulling downwards and the tension of the rope pulling upwards.

Since the pulley has no mass, there is no net force acting on it and therefore it remains stationary. This means that the tension in the two sections of rope must be equal, as they are connected to the same stationary object. This also means that the acceleration of the load (a1) is equal to twice the acceleration of the rope (a2), as the load is being pulled by two sections of rope.

In summary, the accelerations equation (a1 = 2*a2) can be understood by considering the motion of the pulley and the forces acting on the load and the rope. I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. Keep up the good work in exploring and understanding scientific principles!

What is a simple pulley system?

A simple pulley system is a type of machine that utilizes a wheel with a grooved rim in order to change the direction and magnitude of a force applied to an object. It can be used to lift or move objects that are too heavy to be lifted by hand.

How does a simple pulley system work?

A simple pulley system works by using a rope or cable that is wrapped around the wheel or pulley. One end of the rope is attached to the object being lifted, while the other end is pulled by a person or machine. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates and changes the direction of the force, making it easier to lift the object.

What is the equation for calculating acceleration in a simple pulley system?

The equation for calculating acceleration in a simple pulley system is a = (F - Ffriction) / m, where a is acceleration, F is the applied force, Ffriction is the frictional force, and m is the mass of the object being lifted. This equation takes into account the frictional force that may act against the movement of the object.

What factors can affect the acceleration in a simple pulley system?

There are several factors that can affect the acceleration in a simple pulley system, including the mass of the object being lifted, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and the amount of friction present in the system. The type of pulley used and the condition of the rope or cable can also impact the acceleration.

How can a simple pulley system be used in everyday life?

A simple pulley system has many practical applications in everyday life. It can be used in construction to lift heavy materials, in elevators to move people and objects between floors, and in exercise equipment to create resistance for strength training. It can also be found in various household items, such as window blinds and garage doors.