Simple question about the power generated by an elevator motor

In summary, the motor of an elevator generates 12000 Watts of power to move the elevator at a constant speed of 2 m/s. Using the equation P = W/t, the attempt at a solution involved finding the mass of the elevator using the formula m = P/a*v, where a is the gravitational acceleration and v is the constant speed. The final answer calculated was 612 kg, which is not among the given choices of 500, 400, 300, 240, or 200 kg. The student asked for help and was advised to choose the nearest answer of 500 kg and bring their work to the professor for clarification.
Fazza3_uae

Homework Statement

The motor of an elevator generates 12000 Watts of power when moving the elevator at constant speed of 2 m/s.what is the mass of elevator in kg ...??

There are 5 options for the answer.

a) 500 Kg b) 400 Kg c) 300 Kg d) 240 Kg e) 200 Kg

Homework Equations

P = W/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it like this ..

Power = Work / Time = Force * Displacement / Time = Force * Velocity = m*a*v

So m = P / a*v

where a is the gravitaional acceleration = 9.8 m/s2
v is the constant speed = 2 m/s
P is the power = 12,000 Watts

I simply plugged in the numbers & got 612 Kg which is obviously wrong. Any help would be apprecitaed. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good to me, even if you use g=10m/s^2, the answer is 600 and not among the choices.

thx for ur responding.

So shall i take the nearest answer which is 500 Kg or what ..??

Go ahead and answer 500, and take your work to the prof. Unless I'm missing something..the question will get kicked out.

1. How does an elevator motor generate power?

The elevator motor generates power through the use of an electric motor and a series of gears. The motor uses electricity to spin the gears, which in turn lift and lower the elevator car.

2. How much power does an elevator motor typically generate?

The amount of power generated by an elevator motor can vary depending on the size and type of elevator. On average, a standard elevator motor can generate around 25 horsepower or 18.6 kilowatts of power.

3. Is the power generated by an elevator motor renewable?

No, the power generated by an elevator motor is not renewable. It requires a constant supply of electricity to function, which is typically generated from non-renewable sources such as coal or natural gas.

4. Can the power generated by an elevator motor be stored?

No, the power generated by an elevator motor cannot be stored. It is used immediately to lift and lower the elevator car, and any excess power is sent back into the building's electrical grid.

5. How does the power generated by an elevator motor affect the building's energy consumption?

The power generated by an elevator motor can contribute to a building's overall energy consumption. It is important for building owners to consider energy-efficient elevator motor options to reduce their energy usage and costs.