Simple question,finding the charge on conducting sphere?

In summary, to find the charge on a conducting sphere, you can use the equation Q = k * R * (V1 - V2) / d, where Q is the charge, k is a constant, R is the radius of the sphere, V1 and V2 are the potential at two different points, and d is the distance between those two points. This equation takes into account the capacitance of the sphere and allows you to calculate the charge based on the potential difference and distance. Additionally, you can also use Gauss's law to find the charge on a conducting sphere by considering the electric flux through a closed surface surrounding the sphere. By using these methods, you can accurately determine the charge on a conducting sphere.
faqoosy
Simple question,finding the charge on conducting sphere??

A conducting sphere of radius 1cm has a charge of 5microC is placed far away from another sphere with radius 2cm,,the two spheres are connected to each other by a thin wire ,the charge on the larger sphere is ?

Answer : 3.33microC

this is a question from my past exam ,and tomorw is my final
i looked it up and tried thinking that the solution should be 2.5microC but its not ,,
can anyone tell me how we got that 3.33microC as an answer

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a conducting sphere?

A conducting sphere is a spherical object made of a material such as metal that allows electric charges to flow freely through it.

How do you find the charge on a conducting sphere?

The charge on a conducting sphere can be found by using the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the potential difference between the sphere and its surroundings.

What is the capacitance of a conducting sphere?

The capacitance of a conducting sphere is determined by its size and the material it is made of. It is directly proportional to the radius of the sphere and inversely proportional to the distance between the sphere and its surroundings.

What factors affect the charge on a conducting sphere?

The charge on a conducting sphere is affected by the potential difference between the sphere and its surroundings, the capacitance of the sphere, and the material it is made of.

Can a conducting sphere have a negative charge?

Yes, a conducting sphere can have a negative charge. The charge on a conducting sphere can be positive, negative, or neutral, depending on the amount and distribution of charges on the sphere.