Simple series and parallel circuits

In summary, for a simple series circuit, the current is consistent throughout the circuit, the resistance is equal to the total resistance, and the sum of the voltages across each circuit element is equal to the total voltage of the source. For a simple parallel circuit, the voltage across each circuit element is equal to the source voltage, the sum of the currents in each branch is equal to the total current, and the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. The remaining properties for both types of circuits are currently unknown.
unknown_2
I'm really new to circuits so any help would be nice!o:)

Homework Statement

1) derive the basic properties of a simple series circuit.
2) derive the basic properties of a simple parallel circuit.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

1)a)the current through a circuit element is the same throughout the circuit.
b)the sum of the resistance is equal to the total resistance in the circuit.
c)the sum of the voltages across each circuit element is equal to the total voltage of the source.
d)i dono
e)i dono

2a)the voltage across a circuit element is the same as the source throughout the circuit
b)the sum of the current through each branch is equal to the total current
c)1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 . . . + 1/Rn
d)i dono
e)i dono

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
unknown_2 said:
I'm really new to circuits so any help would be nice!o:)

Homework Statement

1) derive the basic properties of a simple series circuit.
2) derive the basic properties of a simple parallel circuit.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

1)a)the current through a circuit element is the same throughout the circuit.
b)the sum of the resistance is equal to the total resistance in the circuit.
c)the sum of the voltages across each circuit element is equal to the total voltage of the source.
d)i dono
e)i dono

2a)the voltage across a circuit element is the same as the source throughout the circuit
b)the sum of the current through each branch is equal to the total current
c)1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 . . . + 1/Rn
d)i dono
e)i dono

a), b) and c) are all correct statements.

For d) and e), what was the question? :confused:

there's supposed to be 2 more properties for each. and i have no clue what they are. I've looked through my text and through internet sources but i can only find 3.

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

A series circuit is one where all the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with the current split between them.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. How does the voltage change in a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided between the components, with each component receiving a portion of the total voltage. In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across each branch.

4. What happens when a component fails in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, if one component fails, the entire circuit will be broken and no current will flow. In a parallel circuit, if one component fails, the other branches will still function as long as they have a complete loop.

5. How can I increase the brightness of a light bulb in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the brightness of a light bulb can be increased by decreasing the resistance in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the brightness can be increased by adding more bulbs in parallel.