Simple Special Relativity Homework: Time Dilation and Length Contraction

In summary, Anna is on a railroad flatcar moving at 0.6c relative to Bob. The time of the flashbulb going off in Anna's hand, as measured by her wristwatch, is 100ns. However, in Bob's frame of reference, this event is measured to be 125ns, indicating that it is later than 100ns. For part b, the question asks for the length of Anna's arm from her hand to her center of mass. Using the given transformation equations and the values for time and distance in Bob's frame, the length of Anna's arm is calculated to be 22.5 meters.
hotcommodity

Homework Statement

Anna is on a railroad flatcar moving at 0.6c relative to Bob. Their clocks read 0 as Anna's center of mass passes Bob's. Anna's arm is outstretched in the direction the flatcar moves, and in her hand is a flashbulb. According to the wristwatch on Anna's hand, the flashbulb goes off at 100ns. The time of this event differs by 27ns. (a) Is it earlier or later than 100ns? (b) How long is Anna's arm (from hand to center of mass) ?

Homework Equations

Transformation Eq.'s:

1. x' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](x - vt)
2. t' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](-vx/c2 + t)
3. x = [tex]\gamma[/tex](x' + vt')
4. t = [tex]\gamma[/tex](vx'/c2 + t')

5. [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 1/sqrt(1 - v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I found gamma to be 1.25, and the time in Bob's frame to be 125ns (not differing by 27ns as the book suggested).

For part b, which I've tried many times, I get an answer of 0m (i.e. the bulb flashes at Anna's center of mass). I call Anna's center of mass at the time of the bulb flash Event 1, and the flash of the bulb Event 2. I also use the convention of Anna's frame of reference as being primed (e.g. x', t', and so on).These are the quantities I have, maybe someone can spot an error in my reasoning:

Event 1: t1' = 100ns, x1' = 0, t1 = ?, x1 = ?

Event 2: t2' = 100ns, x2' = ?, t2 = 125ns (from part a), x2 = 22.5 m (d=vt --> x2 = .6c(125ns) = 22.5m)

Using the transformation eq.'s, I get x1 = 0, which gives me zero for the uncontracted length. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hotcommodity said:
Anna is on a railroad flatcar moving at 0.6c relative to Bob. Their clocks read 0 as Anna's center of mass passes Bob's. Anna's arm is outstretched in the direction the flatcar moves, and in her hand is a flashbulb. According to the wristwatch on Anna's hand, the flashbulb goes off at 100ns. The time of this event differs by 27ns. (a) Is it earlier or later than 100ns? (b) How long is Anna's arm (from hand to center of mass) ?

For part a, I found gamma to be 1.25, and the time in Bob's frame to be 125ns (not differing by 27ns as the book suggested).

Hi hotcommodity! :smile:

No … you're misunderstanding the question.

You've worked out Bob's measurement of time between two things at the same place (as measured by Alice).

The question asks for Bob's measurement of time between Alice passing him and the flashbulb (in her hand) going off.

Try again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi hotcommodity! :smile:

No … you're misunderstanding the question.

You've worked out Bob's measurement of time between two things at the same place (as measured by Alice).

The question asks for Bob's measurement of time between Alice passing him and the flashbulb (in her hand) going off.

Try again! :smile:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying I misunderstood the question being asked for part a or part b?..

hotcommodity said:
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying I misunderstood the question being asked for part a or part b?..

part a. :smile:

Related to Simple Special Relativity Homework: Time Dilation and Length Contraction

1. What is Simple Special Relativity?

Simple Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is Simple Special Relativity different from General Relativity?

Simple Special Relativity only applies to objects moving at a constant velocity in a straight line. General Relativity, on the other hand, extends this theory to include the effects of gravity and acceleration.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in Simple Special Relativity?

In Simple Special Relativity, the speed of light is constant and acts as a universal speed limit. This means that no object can travel faster than the speed of light, and it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

4. How does time dilation work in Simple Special Relativity?

According to Simple Special Relativity, time will appear to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary observer. This is known as time dilation and is due to the effects of the object's velocity on the fabric of space-time.

5. Can Simple Special Relativity be tested or proven?

Yes, Simple Special Relativity has been extensively tested and has consistently been shown to accurately predict the behavior of objects in motion. One famous example is the measurement of time dilation on high-speed particles in particle accelerators.