Simple Tension Problem: Free Body Diagram and Calculating Normal Force

• Thread starter Kant Destroyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block with mass 5kg resting on a frictionless incline with an angle of 30° and connected to a wall by a string with linear density 5.0 g/m. The conversation includes a discussion of drawing a free body diagram of the block and calculating the normal force on the block due to the incline. Different methods of solving the problem are suggested, including resolving forces parallel and perpendicular to the incline and resolving forces horizontally and vertically. It is ultimately determined that the normal force is equal to half the weight of the block times the square root of 3, and the tension in the string is equal to half the weight of the block.
Kant Destroyer
1. Homework Statement [/b]
A block with mass M = 5kg sits at rest on a frictionless incline. The mass is connected to the wall by a string with linear density μ = 5.0 g/m. The incline is fristionless, with angle Θ = 30°. Let the positive x-direction point up along the incline, and let the origin (x=0) be at the end of the string attached to the mass. HERE IS A DIAGRAM OF WHAT THE PROBLEM LOOKS LIKE: http://i.imgur.com/puAhYlT.png

Draw a free body diagram of the block. What is the normal force on the block?

Homework Equations

This is probably where I'm lacking. I'm not sure if there is an equation that will give me a way of solving for T or not, but other than that there are no real equations necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having no real problems with the free body diagram. It's simple enough. The issue I'm having is that I don't know how to calculate the Normal force on the block due to the incline. I calculate that:

N[itex]\ast[/itex]sin(60) + T[itex]\ast[/itex]sin(30) = mg
N = [itex]\frac{(mg - 1/2T)}{sin(60)}[/itex]
N = [itex]\frac{(2mg - T)}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]

But now the only way I can see myself solving for N is with the value of T, which I can't seem to figure out. Am I just missing a valuable equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kant Destroyer said:
But now the only way I can see myself solving for N is with the value of T, which I can't seem to figure out. Am I just missing a valuable equation?
You're making life hard for yourself by insisting on using horizontal and vertical components. You can certainly solve the problem that way, but you'd better be careful with signs.

Much easier: Use components parallel and perpendicular to the incline surface. Then your equations will be simpler.

Try resolving the forces into components parallel and perpendicular to the incline.

Oops. Doc Al scooped me.

Chet

I see that your diagram already has x and y defined as parallel and perpendicular to the incline. So use that!

There are two ways forward:
You can get a second equation by looking at vertical forces. T and N will both feature again.
Alternatively, instead of resolving horizontally and vertically, resolve parallel to and orthogonal to the slope. Now one equation involves T while the other involves N.

Btw, I assume there's more to the question since we have not used the string density yet. Strictly speaking, the string density does have a tiny effect on the normal force, but I hope we're supposed to ignore that. The string will sag under its own weight, so that where it meets the block it will not be quite parallel to the ramp. This will slightly increase the normal force. Finding that angle would involve the equation for a catenary.

haruspex said:
Btw, I assume there's more to the question since we have not used the string density yet.
Good point!

Doc Al said:
I see that your diagram already has x and y defined as parallel and perpendicular to the incline. So use that!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I had a feeling that I was doing it wrong because of the different orientation of x and y, but I just went with what I'm used to. Are you suggesting that I just set N equal to the y component of the weight?

Kant Destroyer said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I had a feeling that I was doing it wrong because of the different orientation of x and y, but I just went with what I'm used to. Are you suggesting that I just set N equal to the y component of the weight?

Yes.

Kant Destroyer said:
Yes.

That comes from applying the equilibrium condition (that the net force = 0) in the y direction. The only forces in that direction are the normal force (up) and the y component of the weight (down).

Doc Al said:
Yes.

That comes from applying the equilibrium condition (that the net force = 0) in the y direction. The only forces in that direction are the normal force (up) and the y component of the weight (down).

Thank you. I'm working it out right now. It's a 45-45-90 triangle, so would the Tension be equal to the normal force in magnitude?

Kant Destroyer said:
It's a 45-45-90 triangle, so would the Tension be equal to the normal force in magnitude?
Where did you get 45 degrees? The angle of the incline is 30°.

To find the tension, set up an equation forces in the x direction.

Doc Al said:
Where did you get 45 degrees? The angle of the incline is 30°.

I think I'm just confused about the angles. I'm not sure how to set up the right triangle and solve for it's different vector parts with this axis system because I can't seem to figure out what the triangle would look like. Is it a 30-60-90 triangle with the long leg being the y component and the short leg being the x component? In that case the normal force would just be equal to 1/2*weight*sqrt(3) and tension would be equal to 1/2*weight.

Last edited:
Kant Destroyer said:
I think I'm just confused about the angles. I'm not sure how to set up the right triangle and solve for it's different vector parts with this axis system because I can't seem to figure out what the triangle would look like. Is it a 30-60-90 triangle with the long leg being the y component and the short leg being the x component? In that case the normal force would just be equal to 1/2*weight*sqrt(3) and tension would be equal to 1/2*weight.
Yes, that is correct.

I suggest that you learn to think in terms of vector components. Analyzing y components gives you: N = mg cos30° = mg(√3)/2. Analyzing x components gives you: T = mg sin30° = mg/2.

You might want to review incline planes and vectors: Inclined Planes

Likes 1 person

1. What is a simple tension problem?

A simple tension problem is a type of physics problem that involves a system of objects connected by strings or ropes, where the tension, or pulling force, in each string is unknown. The goal is to use Newton's laws of motion and other principles to solve for the tension in each string.

2. How do I approach solving a simple tension problem?

To solve a simple tension problem, you should first draw a diagram of the system and label all the forces acting on each object. Then, write out Newton's second law (F=ma) for each object and use algebra to solve for the unknown tensions. It's also helpful to remember that the sum of all forces in a system must equal zero in order for it to be in equilibrium.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in solving a simple tension problem?

One common mistake is to forget to include the weight of an object in the calculations. Another mistake is to mix up the signs of the forces, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It's important to always double check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

4. Are there any special cases or variations of simple tension problems?

Yes, there are a few variations of simple tension problems. One is when the strings are at angles instead of just vertical or horizontal. In this case, you will need to use trigonometry to find the components of the forces. Another variation is when there are multiple objects connected by strings, which requires using Newton's third law (equal and opposite forces) to solve for the tensions.

5. How can solving simple tension problems be useful in real life?

Understanding and solving simple tension problems can be useful in many real-life situations, such as in engineering and construction. For example, engineers use the principles of tension to design bridges and other structures to withstand various loads and forces. It's also helpful to understand tension in everyday tasks, such as tying knots or lifting heavy objects with ropes.